Antelope Hunt Advice for 2020

aOWENc

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a Wyoming rifle antelope hunt for next fall.

I went out there a few years ago with a guide and had a very easy hunt that involved cruising around in a pickup truck. I'm looking for more of a DIY public land hunt next year.

My dad, brother and I all plan to go. We all plan to purchase a preference point this year.

We are not looking for giants, just some decent bucks. It looks like most of the places that have good public land access are very difficult to draw with 1 point. I am not looking for anyone's honey hole, but any advice regarding what region of the state or time of the season (or anything at all, bringing meat home, rifle advice, etc.) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Visit the Wyoming G&F website. There is much info on, hunt area access, hunter kill success rates, draw odds, ect. memtb

We're going on our 2nd DIY hunt this week.

G&F website has all the info on season, etc. You can always buy the special tag and get better odds on a unit.

last time we went both the ones we took shots were 110yds and 70yds... but we there is definitely terrain where 250-350yds isn't out of the question so figure out your drops/practice shooting in wind at distance.

The meat is pretty straight, you are required by the regulations to take the shoulders, hind quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins. We skinned them, field quartered, carried the required parts back to the vehicle wrapped in cheese cloth from the hardware store... put it on ice/butchered it when we got home. Once you cool it all down it doesn't take a lot of ice to keep cold. It was 70* when we went last time... now its going to be 30* so that'll simplify keeping the meat. They're about the size of a large whitetail doe.... so if you debone the shoulders, keep the hinds in one piece you can put 2 of them in (3) 48 quarter coolers.

We camped last time, we're going to again but due to the snow we booked a hotel. Figure out where the closest gas stations are to the unit you hunt so you can get ice/supplies.

Your trip really hinges on how short/long you want to make it. We hunted unit 27 and scouted 29 and 7 when we went... and if you're not selective you can easily bag out 3 bucks in 24 hours. Don't shoot the first thing you see unless you're crunched for time.

My apologies to the OP if I'm piggy-backing his thread.

I'm considering doing the same type of hunt next year. It would be me and my two son's for their first hunting trip out west. They're 23 & 21 years old. The elder graduated college last year and the younger is graduating next year. Sort of a graduation present from me to my boys. A buddy of mine might tag along too. We'd be camping out of an enclosed trailer converted into a toy hauler.

Would we have much use for a SXS if we brought it? It would get around a lot better than a big old RAM diesel.

Any more ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

While we've done a lot of Antelope hunting in our Ram 3500 SRW, 4x4, though in some areas, and conditions.....the SXS would be a huge advantage. Plus, if you "break" the truck....your walking home! ;) memtb

Leave the 4x4 at home and enjoy the hiking and piece. You will likely see more animals by not pushing them off public... and the other folks will appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.