Answered

6point5x284

I went to sight in a new rifle yesterday, and had a horrible problem with horizontal stringing? It was a really heavy mirage day, so I shot some groups with my other rifles that I knew are rock stars to weed myself out as the cause. I didn't shoot great, but still shot well enough to confirm it's not me. I attached a picture. The bottom left is a 5 shot group I shot to make sure I wasn't going crazy. The bottom right is a 10 shot group I shot with a Magneto Speed V3 on the same rifle, and even with the vibration changes from the chrono, it still shot decent. The main center target is the group of 5 I shot trying to zero this new rifle. Both the rifle and scope are brand new. Does this look like a scope issue, or a rifle issue?

Scope is the new Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42 (I LOVE THIS SCOPE!).

Rifle is a new LAW 7mm Rem Mag (Supposed to be my backpacking rig).

Ammo was HSM 168 Berger Trophy Gold.

Rest was a front and rear bag for all guns fired, laying prone on a logging road.

Distance was 100 yards.

I confirmed there was no scope movement. I checked action torque (65 in/lb), and scope torque (15 in/lb). Everything felt solid. Drew lines in the scope and no visible movement. This was after I bore sighted to get on paper. Gun was cool when I shot this string. I shot 3, let it cool, and shot 2 more. I stopped at that point.

Any tips? I've never run across something like this. Could a rifle have this much left and right, or is something loose inside the scope?

Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• Groups.jpg
    Groups.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 78
Re: Horizontal Stringing?

Apologies, meant to hang in General Discussions. Please move MODS if seen.

In your place I would:

Bed the action
Bed the scope rail
Reassemble and torque to specs
Make sure the barrel was free floated all the way back to the recoil lug
(free floated so that a piece of copy paper folded into two thicknesses passed without interference)
Retest .....

FearNoWind,

Thanks for the reply. Action is bedded. Scope rings (Talley Light Weights) are currently not bedded, but have a very uniform fit. Barrel is free floated and can accept paper as you described. Action and scope are both torqued to manufacturer specs. While bedding the bases may gain something, I do not believe enough to correct the error of the group size. Trying to avoid bedding them at this point in case I want to put a different scope (1" vs 30mm) on the rifle at some point.

Is there an easy scope test I can do to make sure scope is not the issue? Reticle appears straight, however I have not gotten out my scope levels and plum line to verify.

Thanks,

One of the easier tests to do for your scope is to switch scopes. Put the scope that is on a proven rifle on the problem rifle and put the scope that was on the problem rifle on the proven one. Shoot both rifles and see what happens. It may even be that your rifle really hates that load but you can start with the scope.

I was afraid you would say that! I don't have any other scopes with a 1" tube. I have the Talleys on it right now as I removed the factory bases, but I think the factory bases have a rail attachment also (as long as I can find them). After the SHC this weekend, I'll pull my Premier off my comp rifle and set it up with that and see how it does.

I appreciate the input fellas.

How many rounds down the new tube?

Has it ever shot well?

I have a .300 Winchester Magnum, that really did not like HSM Berger loads. No complaint with the product, just saying I've seen it not perform well.

These were the first 5 rounds down the tube after about 3-5 bore sight shots at 50 to get on the center of paper. My Tikka hates HSM ammo as well, but it still shot a 2" group. I've just never seen something spread across horizontally like that. Thanks for the info.

I have had a couple of barrels require more break in than I thought was necessary?

About all you can do is start from the beginning as has been said. I would be scratching my head as well, but I would definitely check to see if it repeated before pulling out hair.

Wow!! Now what? I believe your LAW 7mm Rem. Mag. is a 1:9; that should stabilize the 168 grain HSM bullets just fine. You've done about everything I can think of to stabilize the mechanics of the rifle. Except for the scope (which others previously discussed) I might want to use a jeweler's loupe to examine the muzzle crown or any imperfection in the muzzle brake. That's a fine rifle; comes with a lifetime warranty and I suppose if you're forced to send it back for the factory to check as a last resort - aw heck, let's not think about that right now.
Can you borrow a one inch scope? I'd loan you one of mine if we share the same neighborhood. Must be someplace you could find one.

I forgot I have a 1" 3-9 power Burris Fullfield II on my 17 HMR here at the place, so I will be able to check the scope here shortly. Probably next weekend. Stay tuned fellas. Thanks for the info!

What stock have you got on it?

Until you've gone through the break in process completely I would not get too excited about anything.

Right now you don't even have the bore seasoned well.

Your holes are clean circles so I would not worry about stabilization.

Check your torque specs on the action screws.

morning, u have the rifle build and ammo that that should make this build shoot.

u could shoot 25yrd target to check the scope accuracy.

brands of ammo will make rifles shoot differently.

good luck

lightbulbgun)

Last edited:

...brands of ammo will make rifles shoot differently.

good luck

lightbulbgun)

While it would appear that the bullet you're pushing down the barrel should work fine, I think "just country" makes a good point. Some rifles just don't like certain ammo. If we combine the suggestions for sending a few more rounds down the tube for "break in" - perhaps just finishing the box you have - and then trying another (140 gr - 160 gr ? or another manufacturer's 168 gr) to see how it performs you'd have a better base for comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.