Anschutz 222

gregdownunder

Hi all, was looking for a little info on a gun I have been given and thought you may be able to help.
It is an Anschutz 222 model 1531/32 .
It looks very close to my anschutz 22 but the bolt is a little different.It appears to have two locking lugs at the rear.
It is not glass bedded but the wood is superbly inletted (very plain though) and fits perfectly.
It has two main action screws and a third in the middle which only appears to hold the middle of the trigger guard.
Would this be a "54" action?
Any accuracy tips/general info on this rifle would be appreciated .
I plan to mount a leupold 12x and use it on rabbits that have wised up to my .22!

many thanks,

Greg

I just picked up an old Sako Vixen 222 New in box!Good cleaning, adjust trigger, and floated barrel,is all it took. Are you going to load for it?

Yes I do plan to reload,anyone suggest a good varmint load?I would like a bullet that explodes pretty much on impact,I think Hornady used to make one.
Anyone know if Millet .22 rings would be Ok on a triple two?The dovetail is 11 mm I am told,which must be the standard 22 size.

I shoot a max load of IMR4198 and a Hornady 40 gr V-MAX out of my .222 Rem. Shoots good and is very destructive. You might want to look at a ball powder if you shoot large quantities.

[ 06-14-2004: Message edited by: Birdshooter ]

I use the same combo as bird shooter only H-4198 it meters better and gave me a little better groups. although IMR gave better speed. Stick the 40 v-max on the lands if your throat isn't to long. Mine shoots sub 1/2 MOA at 3580fps.

I can't help with the specifics but you have a rifle in the most accurate calibre excepting PPCs from the one of the most accurate manafacturers.

The 40 or 50gr Vmaxes are a perfect match and awsome in terminal effect. A fox I shot with the 40gr (MV 3,400fps) at 175yards had an entry hole the size of an exit wound with jacket fragments under the skin.

The 222 generaly likes fairly fast powder in mine VVN120 (similar to a 4198) was good with the 40gr. H322 worked well with 50gr.

A 50gr match bullet in the lands with a mid range charge of H322 will likely yield 1 hole groups if you do your part. A good but slim scope allowing head shooting of little varmints at 250yards in calm conditions is just the ticket - the 12x loopy sounds perfect!

Enjoy - excellent choice.
cool.gif

[ 06-16-2004: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts