another wind doping question

dbleyepatches

I have read the articles from this site and many others on wind doping and I think that I am getting a very basic understanding.

Is there a site that has a chart that will list the wind angles and the value that is given to the it (full value, half value, etc...). I believe this is sometimes called a wind rosette?

Is there a balistic calculator on the web where you can put your rifle information into it and it will list the deflection of the bullet for 5 mph, 10 mph, etc... at varying ranges? I have found several of these sites for the vertical ballistics but none for windage.

I understand that practice is going to be the key to this process, but without any reference to find a starting point, I am not sure that the practice will be too productive.

If you plan on putting the calculator on a PDA and have an Ipod or Iphone there is a kick *** calculator for them that does address the wind angles and speed then gives the correct adjustment for it. Also there are other calculators out there that does the same

If you plan on putting the calculator on a PDA and have an Ipod or Iphone there is a kick *** calculator for them that does address the wind angles and speed then gives the correct adjustment for it. Also there are other calculators out there that does the same

I think that I am going to use a chart for now. I have several items on my wish list before an iphone or pda (chronograph, rangefinder, etc...).

Is the program that you are talking about on the website that backwoods hunter listed?

The way that I read the articles from the site that was listed above, all I will need to do is print a chart with the different ranges for verticle ballistics and also print the same chart for a 1 MPH wind.

Once I figure the wind angle and if it is a half value or full value, simply multiply the wind speed and, in theory, I should have the MOA to adjust the windage turret.

I am sure that there is the experience factor that will play in, but this should give me a place to start.

Thanks for the help.

I didnt see it on that website, I know ipods and iphones are pretty expensive but on the bright side the calculator is only 20.00 bucks, I have seen on here where alot of shooters have found there PDA's on ebay for around 50.00 bucks but some of the calculators to download them are fairly expensive, you can get free downloads, do a search for Free ballistic calculators it will bring up some. Make sure you get one that does altitude, wind, temp, and barometric pressure cause they all have to be considered when making that 1000 yard hit, plus make sure it will do the G1-G7 factors, if you shoot berger bullets to be more accurate they give your the BC numbers for the G7 factor

bulletflight "fte" on the ipod will do 3 ranges of wind and wind direction in degrees! far more accurate than the clock system

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.