Another "which Hammer" thread. 300WM, Win Mod 70.

Which bullet?

• 160 HH

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 162 AH

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 166 HH

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 166 SH

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 174 HH

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 178 AH

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 180 HH

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Thanks for the suggestions all.

We decided on the the 2nd/3rd place finisher, the 166 HH. For my buddies purposes, the 166 should offer a flatter close range trajectory and lower recoil, but plenty of killing power for anything he's likely to try to eat.

I'm hoping to get 3200 fps out of it (24"), without running it very hard in his 50+ year old rifle.

From my understanding, I can just use published load data for conventional bullets as a baseline with the standard Hammer Hunters?

I don't have an E-bike and can't afford one. It's not fair. mtmuley

Thanks for the suggestions all.

We decided on the the 2nd/3rd place finisher, the 166 HH. For my buddies purposes, the 166 should offer a flatter close range trajectory and lower recoil, but plenty of killing power for anything he's likely to try to eat.

I'm hoping to get 3200 fps out of it (24"), without running it very hard in his 50+ year old rifle.

From my understanding, I can just use published load data for conventional bullets as a baseline with the standard Hammer Hunters?

Just dig into the Hammer Hunter loading thread for some starting points.
Like Muddy said lots of info thanks to @GLTaylor

Like Muddy said lots of info thanks to @GLTaylor
Just dig into the Hammer Hunter loading thread for some starting points.
Thanks for the link. I'd already looked in there, and unfortunately, no data for 300WM and the 166 HH in the PDF.

Epic resource though, and a big shout out to @GLTaylor for compiling it (and all the folks who shared their data too)! đź‘Ź

Look at the 174HH data as place to start. Reduce down and work loads up using standard loading practices. Talk to Steve or Brian at Hammer to get some suggestions as well. They will likely have good info for you to consider.

Run the 124HH with H4350, It's already proven itself
What he said!! I ran 124s yesterday in my 24" Sauer .300 Win and it's making near-ragged holes with these. I ran some of these in "reduced" loads with H4895 and some 130gr Barnes TTSX in full power loads with IMR4451, which is very nearly H4350. Also used the Vihtavuori N555 full power, and accuracy is outstanding with this bullet and this group of medium-speed burning powders in .300 Win Mag. To 350 yards either one of these bullets is lights out for a big cow, especially the Hammer! The best part is the lightweight bullet mitigates recoil! FWIW, I ran 61.0 grains of H4895 with the 124gr HH, and 78.0 grains of IMR 4451 with the 130gr Barnes and 78.5 grains of the N555. ES spread was equal with an old Rem 9 1/2M primer and groups were from just a hair under an inch to 1/2". I will probably switch to a Federal Match primer next (215M) to reduce ES and drop the groups on down below 1/2". But for your purposes, and of these loads will do exactly what you need done, and do it very well without lots of meat damage! Accuracy is about equal between the 124 HH/H4895 load and the 130 TTSX/IMR4451 load with less kick for the HH. You can run 78-79 grains of H4350 under the 124gr Hammer Hunter and have plenty over the 1500 ft-lb energy threshold for elk at 350 yards. I had ZERO pressure on any of my loads using Norma brass.

Edit: I ran the HHs at .060" off the lands. May do a little better with some tweaking.

Last edited:
What he said!! I ran 124s yesterday in my 24" Sauer .300 Win and it's making ragged holes with these. I ran some of these in "reduced" loads with H4895 and some 130gr Barnes TTSX in full power loads with IMR4451, which is very nearly H4350. Also used the Vihtavuori N555 full power, and accuracy is outstanding with this bullet and this group of medium-speed burning powders in .300 Win Mag. To 350 yards either one of these bullets is lights out for a big cow, especially the Hammer! The best part is the lightweight bullet mitigates recoil! FWIW, I ran 61.0 grains of H4895 with the 124gr HH, and 78.0 grains of IMR 4451 with the 130gr Barnes and 78.5 grains of the N555. ES spread was equal with an old Rem 9 1/2M primer and groups were from just a hair under an inch to 1/2". I will probably switch to a Federal Match primer next (215M) to reduce ES and drop the groups on down below 1/2". But for your purposes, and of these loads will do exactly what you need done, and do it very well without lots of meat damage! Accuracy is about equal between the 124 HH/H4895 load and the 130 TTSX/IMR4451 load with less kick for the HH. You can run 79 grains of H4350 under the 124gr Hammer Hunter and have plenty over the 1500 ft-lb energy threshold for elk at 350 yards. I had ZERO pressure on any of mybloads using Norma brass.
300Dakota,
Please post all the particulars on your rifle and load so I can get them all on the spreadsheet. Thanks,
G

You got a fifty plus year old gun you haven't seen and you're wondering about loads without a magnetometer/ magna flux run on it, x-ray, or barrel and chamber inspection?? Yet your asking about loads?? Things that make you go hmmm!!

You got a fifty plus year old gun you haven't seen and you're wondering about loads without a magnetometer/ magna flux run on it, x-ray, or barrel and chamber inspection?? Yet your asking about loads?? Things that make you go hmmm!!

Yes

Winchester Model 70, I'd be willing to bet it twice as solid as anything you can buy today, to each there own but I would have no worries over the rifle