Another "which Hammer" thread. 300WM, Win Mod 70.

Which bullet?

• 160 HH

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 162 AH

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 166 HH

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 166 SH

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 174 HH

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 178 AH

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 180 HH

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
I feel your pain when trying to decide on which grain bullet to get.
My best advise is to just get one within your twist rate and reload.
You will find out that they are very easy to get an accurate load. Some people go for speed, some don't. What I have seen is people having success, because they work well.
The powders you have will work great. H1000 and R26 followed by R19 for heavier pills would be my choice

I voted for the 166HH but you'd have to run the data in a calculator to see if if the 162AH would be better. I've been following many of the threads recommended above and agree that the evidence is there but it is definitely outside the box and hard to accept without firsthand experience. Hammers definitely do better with speed so I think the 160 class would be a good compromise between speed and mass. My biggest comment if you're thinking about the AH powder definitely change from normal so that may play a factor in which one you go with.

I voted for the 166HH but you'd have to run the data in a calculator to see if if the 162AH would be better. I've been following many of the threads recommended above and agree that the evidence is there but it is definitely outside the box and hard to accept without firsthand experience. Hammers definitely do better with speed so I think the 160 class would be a good compromise between speed and mass. My biggest comment if you're thinking about the AH powder definitely change from normal so that may play a factor in which one you go with.
The calculations for a 300 yard max shot out of a 300 win mag on a cow elk? For what exactly are we calculating

The calculations for a 300 yard max shot out of a 300 win mag on a cow elk? For what exactly are we calculating
The OP wants the "best option" I completely agree any of them will work for the stated task. But the AH will get better velocity with a little less mass and a lower BC and the HH is going to be going a little slower with a little more mass and a better BC. BC Not really important for drop at that range but definitely helps with wind drift. And the velocity increases with the AH Bullets seem to decrease as case capacity goes up. I don't own a 300wm so I'd have to go look at the AH/HH load data threads to know if the AH gives any real velocity advantage.

The OP wants the "best option" I completely agree any of them will work for the stated task. But the AH will get better velocity with a little less mass and a lower BC and the HH is going to be going a little slower with a little more mass and a better BC. BC Not really important for drop at that range but definitely helps with wind drift. And the velocity increases with the AH Bullets seem to decrease as case capacity goes up. I don't own a 300wm so I'd have to go look at the AH/HH load data threads to know if the AH gives any real velocity advantage.

If you can tell the difference in wind drift out of a 300 Winny with ANY bullet available at 200 yards then you're a couple steps above anyone I know.

If you can tell the difference in wind drift out of a 300 Winny with ANY bullet available at 200 yards then you're a couple steps above anyone I know.
Not saying i could. Just one is going to be "better" than the other. For the vast majority of people you could make the argument that the only difference that anyone would be able to tell between any of the choices is the increase in recoil.

Regarding twist, I found this, "directly from the manufacturer". Pretty awesome old catalogue from 1967. Think I might have to buy one of the new fangled Model 94 rifles in 44 Mag! Only $85.95!

Anyway, catalogue says 1:10 twist (not surprising), 24" bbl.

@adam32+P Thanks for finding the factory ammo. We had considered just going factory, but couldn't find any anywhere. Unfortunately, after reading a few reviews on the place you linked, I don't think we want to give them our money. I added the ammo to my cart, and it was $20 shipping, on top of $20 more than any other retailer's price ($110 OTD for 20). $5.50 per round is a bit steep IMO...o_O

Anyone have any data on ballpark speeds for the 166 HH vs the 180 HH in a 24" 300WM? I'm leaning towards the 166, but would like to toss them in a ballistics calculator just to see what's what.

They do from 30 cal down it seems so far

Why do you need to compromise when you do not have to, esp. since it is only 300Y. The .300 WM (I have 3 of them) is a totally different animal with 180g+ bullets. "I" will take the KE at POI of 180g over any other bullets listed.

Since I propel the 190 Berger at 3043 FPS with more room to spare (this load harvested a bull elk at 931Y). I think I can push the 180 HH at 3100 FPS. That means at 300Y; it has 2429 FPS, 2359 FT-LBS, and .33s TOF. If the NUT behind the trigger cannot kill an elk with these numbers at 300Y, Houston, we have a problem.

@adam32+P Thanks for finding the factory ammo. We had considered just going factory, but couldn't find any anywhere. Unfortunately, after reading a few reviews on the place you linked, I don't think we want to give them our money. I added the ammo to my cart, and it was $20 shipping, on top of $20 more than any other retailer's price ($110 OTD for 20). $5.50 per round is a bit steep IMO...o_O

That is steep! I've never purchased from them nor have heard of them before. I only found it on a Google search.