Another "which Hammer" thread. 300WM, Win Mod 70.

Which bullet?

• 160 HH

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 162 AH

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 166 HH

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 166 SH

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 174 HH

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 178 AH

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 180 HH

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

entoptics

This is a time sensitive side project to help a friend, so I just can't spend the time doing the thorough research I would normally do for myself. He's a "copper only" guy, though it's not required by law where he's hunting. I know nothing about copper, but I've skimmed enough Hammer threads to bet good money they are the way to go. Plus, they're in stock and ready to ship...

Parameters...

1) Winchester Model 70, 300 Win Mag, 1960s vintage (no idea where in that decade though). We're assuming 1:10 twist, so educate me if that's not a given. I don't have the rifle in hand yet to check for myself, but will if there's multiple possibilities.

2) Elk

3) "No more than 200 yds" was what he gave me for distance, but I'd like to ensure 350 yard efficacy, even if he never uses it. He's a meat hunter, and enjoys Bow/ML hunting, so I doubt he'd ever go further than 350, but if I can provide something to "cover the bases", I'd like to.

4) ASAP! He's got a cow tag, which opens August 1st. I think it's good for several weeks, and he's happy to run his smoke pole till we get him a load, but I'd like to get the bullets on the way as soon as possible. Once he's got his cow, I can work on getting him really squared away down the road.

5) I have H1000, RL26, IMR8133, H4350, RL19, and some scraps of 7828 and RL22 that might get enough testing done to leave powder for a dozen "fired in anger" rounds left over.

I'm thinking 160 to 180 class, as Hammer doesn't really offer a 10 twist stable bullet above 180, and below 160 is just silliness in 300 WM. I don't know that the AH will provide that much benefit for him, but I'm open to whatever you suggest.

Please Vote in the poll, and justify your choice in the reply. Any suggestions for initial load data, and what to expect would be helpful too.

Thanks.

1) Winchester Model 70, 300 Win Mag, 1960s vintage (no idea where in that decade though). We're assuming 1:10 twist, so educate me if that's not a given. I don't have the rifle in hand yet to check for myself, but will if there's multiple possibilities.

174 or 180 Hammer Hunter would be my choice.
^^^This!^^^

Run the 124HH with H4350, It's already proven itself
Proven means different things to different folks. Regardless, running insanely light for caliber, at insanely high speeds, will be a hard sell to anyone (me and my friend) that hasn't seen "proven" in a peer reviewed journal...

😁

@FEENIX I know how, and will check myself, but was hoping there was an "They Only Made One" collective wisdom. Good vid though.

On that note, buddy sent me a pic of the markings, and it's not a Mod 70. It's a Mod 670. Not sure what the difference is, but perhaps it will help.

Last edited:
If you want to relax in a comfy old easy chair, go 160-180 class bullets. If you want to see some incredible performance, shoot the 124 at high velocity. For "peer review" articles, go to the Hammer Time forum and read Hammered Downunder as well as the several Terminal Performance and Meplat articles. Tough animals up to Asiatic Water Buffalo have been harshly hammered with the 124HH! Much testing ongoing over last 9 months. A REAL eye opener.
G

Proven means different things to different folks. Regardless, running insanely light for caliber, at insanely high speeds, will be a hard sell to anyone (me and my friend) that hasn't seen "proven" in a peer reviewed journal...

😁

@FEENIX I know how, and will check myself, but was hoping there was an "They Only Made One" collective wisdom. Good vid though.

On that note, buddy sent me a pic of the markings, and it's not a Mod 70. It's a Mod 670. Not sure what the difference is, but perhaps it will help.
No problem Neighbor, Suite your yourself

Most factory ammo will meet that requirement with proper shot placement.

100% agreed! I only said Vor-Tx since he want's lead free...many choices in lead free besides Vor-Tx ammo too tho.

Buy these...

Go kill an elk. Pretty simple.