Another which cartridges thread

I'd say discussions about what you can and can.t shoot make very little sense, not knowing what kind of back surgery you had, or at what level it was. MANY people rehabilitate themselves and can do most things they could previously. Spend 6 months at least strengthening your supporting back muscles and begin shooting with a lighter recoiling caliber. Then ease into more challenging ones. Don't sell yourself short prematurely...
W.I. Capps, MD

Get a 308. they have reduced recoil loads and you can load them with the 125 accubond. as your shoulder heals, move to full power. even at full power, the 308 is easy on recoil. brass/powder/bullets are available.
I loaded a 125 accubond for my daughter ~2180 fps for deer hunting. gun barely moved when fired.
I consider the 308 to be superior to the 243 with regards to terminal ballistics on deer.

Like mentioned previously, a .25 or 6mm is a good place to start.

A 257Roberts would be sweet IMHO. Then you have things like the 6XC, 6BR, 6mm PPC, 6x47 Lapua, etc. which are all pretty good light recoiling choices. With good shooter skill and appropriate loads, all are capable of taking deer size game and would make good lightweight hunters.

I have a featherweight 7x57 that is a real soft shooter with classic "pre-WWII" style loads. And, you don't have to load it like a 7mm Remington Magnum to be effective for North American hunts. Being an Intermediate cartridge though can cause some issues with 'custom' rifles however, my Winchester bolt action shoots them all without complaint its a real winner IMHO.

I would have a good muzzlebrake installed on all your rifles and they'll all be very manageable. To be safe, I would just brake the 280 and the 300 WSM. Both of them will be like shooting a 243 after you get them braked.
Ihave a Savage ultra lightweight 300wsm with a good brake--My 11 yr old neice--87# soaking wet--she said its like
a 22, just louder

Ihave a Savage ultra lightweight 300wsm with a good brake--My 11 yr old neice--87# soaking wet--she said its like
a 22, just louder
Yep! That's the point I was trying to make. There's no reason he couldn't just spend a fraction of the money and have the rifles he already has fitted with muzzle brakes and be able to shoot them comfortably.

If I was in your position, I would really look at the 7mm-08 as it beats the 6.5s with the similar powder capacity in performance with just about the same recoil and is cheap and easy to reload and get factory ammo.

162 eld-m 7mm has .338 g7 and will launch just about fast as the 147 eld-m out of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Powder used is the same and so is recoil, but you can't go wrong with either.

I just prefer the greater bullet selection for 7mm along with being able to shoot a little bigger bullets while hunting. 175 eld-x is a good choice for hunting anything with the 7mm-08.

I'd say discussions about what you can and can.t shoot make very little sense, not knowing what kind of back surgery you had, or at what level it was. MANY people rehabilitate themselves and can do most things they could previously. Spend 6 months at least strengthening your supporting back muscles and begin shooting with a lighter recoiling caliber. Then ease into more challenging ones. Don't sell yourself short prematurely...
W.I. Capps, MD
I had hernias removed for s4 down to LS1 had the issue for 7 years 2 small nerves got cut from them pushing against them for the rehab the first 3 months nothing after that walking in waist deep water for 3 months 3 months after that water and thread mill after he said start shooting with a 223 then move up like Judd said I'll most than likely break my guns for now unless I really want to do a custom for the heck of it will probably add custom barrel to the 280 and brake it since it's my main go to gun has a lot of sentamential value to me since if was a gift from grandparents

Get a recoil calculator and run the data, then compare. The reduction in % to your current calibers may put it in perspective.

Another great performer with very mild recoil is the 25-06, I have 3 of them and with the barrel contours I have they range from 10lbs/ft to 12lbs/ft in recoil.
Shoots very flat and is adequate for elk sized deer with 110/115/120gr bonded core bullets.

Cheers.

I'm curious if the Man Bun comes in the box? What if you bald?Lol
Then that makes you a samurai, no laughing matter!
8EC925CC-40BF-42FB-BAA9-C901417ECEAF.jpeg

If you are just banging steel or hunting coyotes put down another vote for 6.5 Grendel. I picked up a little ruger american for my son and worked up a load with 123 SSTs. That thing is ridiculously accurate, especially for a $400 rifle, LOL. Almost 0 recoil. Really fun suppressed as well.
Also, I have a 280 Rem that has a break. Feels about like a 7mm08.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.