Another what gun?

I'm with Rilow.
Also, I've killed many animals with the 7-08..... Not so sure I'd want to tackle shooting a Moose with it.
Take the "Big Gun" 30-06 for the heavy work.
don't take the light gun in hopes of everything going right- take the big gun in case everything goes wrong.
my .02 cents

Goin to Newfoundland on moose/caribou hunt. First i don't figure on shots being over 3-350yds. What's your thoughts on which gun to take ? My choices are 7mm-08 shooting 136grn sledge hammer or 30-06 shooting 180 Barnes TTSX. I am starting on load for 06 with 166 grn sledge hammer. Both guns shoot under 1in at 100yds, 7mm-08 is little lighter n less recoil (ruger american) n has cheap scope but it will shoot. 06 is nicer gun with better scope.ok I'm rambling,curious to you guys thinking.
Why not just take both so you would have a backup in case something went wrong with one you are using ?

Whichever one you shoot best/is the most accurate. Rather hit a Moose in the boiler room with a proper 7mm bullet than in the guts with a 30 caliber.

If accuracy and comfort of guns is equal the you have a choice to make. Bullet selection more important in my mind.

Good luck

Goin to Newfoundland on moose/caribou hunt. First i don't figure on shots being over 3-350yds. What's your thoughts on which gun to take ? My choices are 7mm-08 shooting 136grn sledge hammer or 30-06 shooting 180 Barnes TTSX. I am starting on load for 06 with 166 grn sledge hammer. Both guns shoot under 1in at 100yds, 7mm-08 is little lighter n less recoil (ruger american) n has cheap scope but it will shoot. 06 is nicer gun with better scope.ok I'm rambling,curious to you guys thinking.
I would think the 136 grain bullet might be light and being fast might go right through the animal causing a long tracking session ! I would use thec280 grain minimum as the moose are big and heavy but not hard to kill !

Two of my favorites but the 06 would get my vote for the hunt you are speaking of and the hammers are one heck of a good killing bullet

I have taken moose twice in Newfoundland, both times with 338 Federal. It does not take anything special to kill one, just a well placed shot. One of them was at 50 yards and the other at 100.

I know a lady who shot a Shiras Moose at over 100 yds with a 7-08 and a 154 grain Hornady spire point. Killed it nicely, but it was not at 3-350 yds. I would lean toward the .30-06, but would try to get closer than 300 yds with either. For my part, I would not shoot at a Moose at 300 yds with the 7-08, although it is a fine and capable cartridge. At 200, I probably would use it with confidence.

Both. I would never go on a hunt without a backup rifle unless I was hiking in.

But, if only one, I would also go .30-06 since moose is on the plate too.
Yeah I thought about that if I can keep my gear weight done. It's fly in trip so there is weight limit
Whichever one you shoot best/is the most accurate. Rather hit a Moose in the boiler room with a proper 7mm bullet than in the guts with a 30 caliber.

If accuracy and comfort of guns is equal the you have a choice to make. Bullet selection more important in my mind.

Good luck
I would say accuracy wise it a wash. Both shoot pretty well

I know a lady who shot a Shiras Moose at over 100 yds with a 7-08 and a 154 grain Hornady spire point. Killed it nicely, but it was not at 3-350 yds. I would lean toward the .30-06, but would try to get closer than 300 yds with either. For my part, I would not shoot at a Moose at 300 yds with the 7-08, although it is a fine and capable cartridge. At 200, I probably would use it with confidence.
The guide talked liking to try to get to under 200yds. The 3-350 is just what I would have no problem taking a shot on my end

The guide talked liking to try to get to under 200yds. The 3-350 is just what I would have no problem taking a shot on my end
With that in mind, I would still probably shoot the '06. I shot a WT buck at 300 yds with an '06 and a 165 grain Hornady; Rifle was sighted in +2.5 at 100. I held on his back line and it hit him through the middle of the chest. He stumbled about 30 yds.
Good luck. I would like to see Newfoundland Moose and 'bou.

They both are good cartridges, but of the two I'd use the 30-06. I'd use the 30-06 because for moose I'd prefer the bigger caliber and heaver bullets.
It looks like you shoot them both very well so it just comes down to your personal preference.
If at all possible I tack both so I could have a backup rifle just in case some thing does go wrong. If you have to go deep in the bush with limited supply's you could leave one at the base camp and still have a chance to get if you needed it and not waste all of the remainder of your hunt.
This is just my thinking and opinions on it and I bet you have looked at all the same things.
I'm all so shore by the bullets your using you know as long as you use the right bullet and make a good shot ether one will do just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.