Another successful MT speed goat hunt!

FEENIX

Opening day and what a feast!

Approximately 3/4 mile into our hike to our hunting area, I spotted a lone buck 175 yards or so away. I immediately signaled my two hunting buddies to get down. Sunrise was 0738 and my time indicated 0703. There was already plenty of daylight already but I opted and gestured a 5 minute wait, since he never knew we were there. No clear shot for me initially but when I did, one of my buddy was too close for my muzzle brake blast (at least that's what I thought at the time - better be safe than sorry).

One of my buddies ended up taking him at around 150 yards with his 7MM Mag. I guided him to his first antelope hunt ever last year. Back to back buck tag filled is a success in my book.

1009100719B.jpg

As he was field dressing his buck, we pressed on. My other buddy only have a doe/fawn tag. I set him up on a nice ridge where we have a nice vantage point. We had 4 small herds from a distance but none ever came within our shooting range. We glassed the area for almost 2 hours when a lone buck came from the boundary fence line and almost missed him. I ranged him at 325 yards and took him down with a 200gr NAB off my .300 WM. Not long range for this forum's standards or a monster, but I was happy to harvest him since the meat is going to be donated. That's around 0900ish. My other buddy showed up around 0930 and helped me on my 2-mile drag. By 1030ish, both bucks were on their way to the game processing place.

ADDED: 11 OCT 2010

The buck dressed out at 55 pounds and yielded 31 pounds of hamburgers and steaks for donation.

1009101045A.jpg

I was back with my other buddy around 1130ish. About half an hour of glassing I told him to work his way out the fence line and see if we can sneak up to a small herd from a distance. In the process, we spotted a couple of bucks (actually bigger than what we already harvested) led by a doe. They came within 200 yards when 3 more does joined in. He ended up taking the lead doe with his .270 at approximately 125 yards or so. This is his very first hunt in MT and first antelope ever.

1009101424a.jpg

We made it to the processing place by 1700ish and back home with plenty of time for dinner. :D

3 for 3 on opening day is a blessing. We had a wonderful time. Sorry for the long post and poor picture quality off our phones' camera.

Have a wonderful and safe hunt.

Ed

Last edited:
Great job!!! Headed out the 15th for 5 days should be real good time taken the 22/243 I had built this spring. Its gonna be a long week!!!

Nice all the way around. My hunt was similar in that I took the shot presented which, in spite of longer range practice, was only about 200 yards; I understand the "not so long" distances. I'm with you... fill the tag when, where, and how you can!

Quite a day you guys had! Congrats!

congrats to all. I went out this last saturday 16oct south of GF. after walking ALL day it was getting late. I had stopped to rest and the small herd came by. they were watching in the oppisite direction from me so all I had was a back of the head shot. at 300yds I felt good about the shot. I shoot a 25-06 ackley with a 115 nosler ballistic. first shot went high, and I settled down to do my job better.. gun) again, back of the head, this time it flat blew off its skull. Im going to practice more before I go back out for deer. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.