Another Spotting Scope Thread

silvertip44

First of all I would like to express my appreciation for the good responses that I have received on this forum for questions asked.
I have upgraded three of my rifle scopes to Nightforce and am waiting on the fourth one to be stocked, but now I need to do the same with my spotting scope and tripod.
My present spotter is a Tasco World Class that has been with me for several years and I have been pondering a replacement for some time now.
I have had the opportunity to use a couple of high end spotters in the $1500 range such as Vortex and Leupold and they simply put my Tasco down to below ground level.
The scope will be used almost 100% for target shooting and that means being able to see good bullet trace and bullet holes clearly in shoot n see targets past 300 yards. Those higher end scopes also allowed me to see the actual copper of the bullet in flight.
Both Vortex and Leupold have spotters in the $900 range that are listed as having HD lenses, but I have never had the opportunity to take a look through one of these. The Leupold also includes a wide angle eyepiece. I may have to bite the bullet and go to $1500 to have what I want but thought that some suggestions from some of you experienced experts would be in order first.
I will appreciate all the information you guys can extend.
Bob

Pentax PF80-ED and forget about second quality scopes like Leopold ect.

For four years beginning summer 2006 for four months I was performing wildlife observations on the Lower Kuskokwim River. I was responsible for identifying the species, and if possible the sex of birds, their positions and what they were doing. We did this seven days per week the first year and five days per week the following years.

I used the Leica Televid 77 APO for the first two months, then purchased both the Pentax PF80-ED and the mighty Pentax PF100-ED to compare against each other.

If the Leica is a perfect 100, then the Pentax would come in around 90. To get that last 10 you have to spend an additional $1000.00. Most of the difference will be at the very edge of the lens, there is some abberation with the Pentax, but not the Leica, and the Pentax is MUCH brighter at full magnification due to its one-inch eyepiece.

One example is when my partner saw a fox across the river from our location, and followed the animal as it wandered along the far side of the river. It was at a distance of approximately 1.25 miles to 1.5 miles before going back into the brush. Through the Leica you could see the fox, and clearly see the lines delineating the colors of the pelt. Through the Pentax you could also see these, but not as clearly defined.

The Pentax PF 100-ED is in a class by itself. When comparing the Leica, PF 80 and PF 100 when I received the two Pentax's from Eagle Optics, I was outside looking across a small lake at a graveyard about 1/4 mile distant. With the smaller scopes I could read the names of the deceased, but the PF 100 allowed me to see the smaller dates under the names. It has a higher magnification than either smaller scope. You'll also need a serious tripod to mount it on as it is a physically large scope, but it will definitely work well for your intended purpose.

Call Doug at cameralandny.com and he'll set you up.

Pentax PF80-ED and forget about second quality scopes like Leopold ect.

For four years beginning summer 2006 for four months I was performing wildlife observations on the Lower Kuskokwim River. I was responsible for identifying the species, and if possible the sex of birds, their positions and what they were doing. We did this seven days per week the first year and five days per week the following years.

I used the Leica Televid 77 APO for the first two months, then purchased both the Pentax PF80-ED and the mighty Pentax PF100-ED to compare against each other.

If the Leica is a perfect 100, then the Pentax would come in around 90. To get that last 10 you have to spend an additional $1000.00. Most of the difference will be at the very edge of the lens, there is some abberation with the Pentax, but not the Leica, and the Pentax is MUCH brighter at full magnification due to its one-inch eyepiece.

One example is when my partner saw a fox across the river from our location, and followed the animal as it wandered along the far side of the river. It was at a distance of approximately 1.25 miles to 1.5 miles before going back into the brush. Through the Leica you could see the fox, and clearly see the lines delineating the colors of the pelt. Through the Pentax you could also see these, but not as clearly defined.

The Pentax PF 100-ED is in a class by itself. When comparing the Leica, PF 80 and PF 100 when I received the two Pentax's from Eagle Optics, I was outside looking across a small lake at a graveyard about 1/4 mile distant. With the smaller scopes I could read the names of the deceased, but the PF 100 allowed me to see the smaller dates under the names. It has a higher magnification than either smaller scope. You'll also need a serious tripod to mount it on as it is a physically large scope, but it will definitely work well for your intended purpose.

Call Doug at cameralandny.com and he'll set you up.

Couldn't of said it better myself. For the money pentax can not be beat.

I finally decided on the Vortex Razor and it came today. It is a totally awesome scope. It will be on the range tomorrow morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.