Another Sherman in the Stable!!! 338 Max

Why the rail on a Sako? They have the best dove tails machined into the top of the receiver that there is. All a rail does is add weight and raise the scope too high. One thing I don't understand.

The rail because the scope has a 35mm tube. It is a Near manufacturing rail that utilizes the dovetails which are very nice but like everything sako aftermarket support isnt really there. Yes I do understand the concept that it adds weight but as stated it has a 35mm tube and sako does not make 35mm rings except for trg. I did need the spacing right with the shorter mounting spaces. also not a 35mm option but as bigngreen mentioned other mounts have broke on me. Broke 2 sets of leupold rings on this rifle when it was a 300 dakota.

Nice! I am not sure if you're even the slightest interested but Fierce stocks should fit that. That are a very nice compromise between a normal hunting stock and a prone shooting stock. McMillan also inlets for the 85.
I have looked at the fierce stocks as an option. I wish they had something a little more towards prone shooting rather than offhand. I watched the review on the mcmillan a3 carbon fiber and I like that. Last i called mcmillan they said they would inlet the adjustable game warden but not the standard. That made no sense to me...

Have you shot the 265lrab yet? Was wondering what kinda velocity you are getting and what is your barrel length
I've got 2800 with mine using N560, RL26, and pp4000 so far. It's a 25" 10 twist Hart barrel, with a .100 extra FB. I was gonna ask Rich about N565 or N570 in this case, but every time I'm on the phone with him I forget to ask.

I have looked at the fierce stocks as an option. I wish they had something a little more towards prone shooting rather than offhand. I watched the review on the mcmillan a3 carbon fiber and I like that. Last i called mcmillan they said they would inlet the adjustable game warden but not the standard. That made no sense to me...
I have my newest Fierce actioned custom in an A3.

I've got 2800 with mine using N560, RL26, and pp4000 so far. It's a 25" 10 twist Hart barrel. I was gonna ask Rich about N565 or N570 in this case, but every time I'm on the phone with him I forget to ask
I think both powders will be too slow to pressure up. What FB is yours?

Big thanks @rfurman24 for the tip on the Fierce stocks!!! Got all set up and after a few calls had a stock on the way so now I can do some real playing!!!! Wont have a chance to shoot it for a while since bear season kicks off tomorrow but there is no flex in this stock which was my problem with the factory stock. Dropped right in also. Not bad to look at to boot!
20200414_155005.jpg
20200414_155101.jpg

Big thanks @rfurman24 for the tip on the Fierce stocks!!! Got all set up and after a few calls had a stock on the way so now I can do some real playing!!!! Wont have a chance to shoot it for a while since bear season kicks off tomorrow but there is no flex in this stock which was my problem with the factory stock. Dropped right in also. Not bad to look at to boot!
View attachment 187626View attachment 187627
Very nice! I hope you enjoy it and maybe it will be a little easier to shoot!

View attachment 187626View attachment 187627
Love it!!

I'm disappointed you didn't choose the swather in the back ground again lol. Looks nice. So you have to use a faster powder with the 338?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.