Another Sherman in the Stable!!! 338 Max

Idaho Trecker

A few weeks ago I was able to pick up my 338 Max. It always seems like an eternity for rifles to be built!!! Well the day finally came and fortunately Shawn at Diamond T Rifles gave me a call with the good news.... the better news is that I was going to be driving right by his shop on my way back from a trip. Down to the specs...

Sako 85 donor (Finnlite in 300 win mag to start life, Yes lots of excess space in the magazine)

Factory stock with limbsaver installed (poor aftermarket support there for sure)

Bartlein barrel 3 neck and finish of 3B

3 port slabbed original Muscle brake ( I thought the brake may look out of place due to its size but after it was tapered and cerakoted I really like the look of it!)

Near Manufacturing base ( again virtually no aftermarket support for anything with a tube bigger than 30mm)

Seekins Precision 35mm rings

Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 MOA and Illuminated

Cerakoted Blackout
20200219_150003.jpg
20200219_150732.jpg
20200219_150710.jpg
20200219_151023.jpg
20200219_150902.jpg

I wanted this build to use in the timber for elk or bear which is why I sprung for the illumination since it was FFP. I plan on getting the 265 LRAB to shoot for my main load and pull the brake if I am hunting timber. The build comes in at 10 pounds even minus the bipod. Not to bad. I should have had the barrel fluted but I was impatient and didnt want to send it off.

So far I have only been able to fireform for the most part and break the barrel in since the dies I want wont be available until April or May (fingers crossed sooner).
I've been fire forming with 285 A Max since I have a butt load of them and wont really shoot them in anything else. Even fire forming I've been shooting around half moa.
Should be a shooter. Cant wait for dies to be able to do some real load workups and maybe even in time for a spring bear to fall from it.

More to come once dies show up.

Attachments

• 20200219_150646.jpg
    20200219_150646.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was able to pick up my 338 Max. It always seems like an eternity for rifles to be built!!! Well the day finally came and fortunately Shawn at Diamond T Rifles gave me a call with the good news.... the better news is that I was going to be driving right by his shop on my way back from a trip. Down to the specs...

Sako 85 donor (Finnlite in 300 win mag to start life, Yes lots of excess space in the magazine)

Factory stock with limbsaver installed (poor aftermarket support there for sure)

Bartlein barrel 3 neck and finish of 3B

3 port slabbed original Muscle brake ( I thought the brake may look out of place due to its size but after it was tapered and cerakoted I really like the look of it!)

Near Manufacturing base ( again virtually no aftermarket support for anything with a tube bigger than 30mm)

Seekins Precision 35mm rings

Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 MOA and Illuminated

Cerakoted Blackout
View attachment 176872View attachment 176880View attachment 176881View attachment 176882View attachment 176883

I wanted this build to use in the timber for elk or bear which is why I sprung for the illumination since it was FFP. I plan on getting the 265 LRAB to shoot for my main load and pull the brake if I am hunting timber. The build comes in at 10 pounds even minus the bipod. Not to bad. I should have had the barrel fluted but I was impatient and didnt want to send it off.

So far I have only been able to fireform for the most part and break the barrel in since the dies I want wont be available until April or May (fingers crossed sooner).
I've been fire forming with 285 A Max since I have a butt load of them and wont really shoot them in anything else. Even fire forming I've been shooting around half moa.
Should be a shooter. Cant wait for dies to be able to do some real load workups and maybe even in time for a spring bear to fall from it.

More to come once dies show up.
Might be some dies now in MARCH but no promises👍

Dont tease me like that Rich! ;)
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Id be buying some new "6.5 Staball" powder too. I think its going to be a GREAT powder for it with excellent temp stablity. Around H414 burn rate. Looks like Hodgdon says more like H100v buen rate?
Should be killer for the 338 SS too!+

Last edited:
I have shot a bunch of them.... still trying to wrap my head around the huge difference between mine and doc's since our freebore is within a couple thousands of each other....I'm going to wait until I get proper dies before I shoot anymore and post data. Also going to bite the bullet and order a mcmillan. So unfortunately it's going to be a while. Wish I had better news

I have shot a bunch of them.... still trying to wrap my head around the huge difference between mine and doc's since our freebore is within a couple thousands of each other....I'm going to wait until I get proper dies before I shoot anymore and post data. Also going to bite the bullet and order a mcmillan. So unfortunately it's going to be a while. Wish I had better news
Yep, yours is a mystery as we've discussed!

Nice! I am not sure if you're even the slightest interested but Fierce stocks should fit that. That are a very nice compromise between a normal hunting stock and a prone shooting stock. McMillan also inlets for the 85.

Why the rail on a Sako? They have the best dove tails machined into the top of the receiver that there is. All a rail does is add weight and raise the scope too high. One thing I don't understand.

Why the rail on a Sako? They have the best dove tails machined into the top of the receiver that there is. All a rail does is add weight and raise the scope too high. One thing I don't understand.
Look at where the rings are on the scope tube, many times you need another solution because of the optic vs long action mounting.
Seen some Sakos struggle to keep the rings hooked to the action with OEM style mount, then go and find larger diameter rings at the right hight then you see why you end up with a different solution.

The one time I have seen where a rail is needed on a Sako is when the scope has a large adjustable windage turret on it. If the empty contacts the turret on ejection it could create problem. The rail has to have a large recess milled in to itself also. The rings tighten on recoil because the dove tails are tapered. I have 7 mag, 300WM and 338WM and never ever had a single one loosen up. I also have the short actions and medium actions with not a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.