• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Another scammer?

I just reported a different user - literally within the last hour or so - by using the "Report" button on one of their posts - I got a response from Len - he watches the activity from the "Report" function.

Good luck - yes - buyer beware
Thanks for sharing this, I did not know there was such a feature. I do a lot of online selling and buying of different items, what I have found with scammers is, They usually will always have a story of some kind!" And......usually it is a hard luck story, or has something to do with either being deployed out of the country, or a family member is deployed or in some way compromised.

Has anybody considered the possibility of a community led/volunteer "vetting" process for sellers?

I think the risks related to scammers would reduce significantly if we utilized an efficient way to vet/validate sellers and disable their ability to post for sale ads until the community has deemed them legit ...

I also have the personal belief that there is (or was) at least one user utilizing more than 1 account (potentially legit but old/dormant accounts they've gained access into) in order to generate traffic and possibly feedback. Things like that are more difficult to root out but there are some technical methods to make those things more difficult. One thing I've seen over and over in cybersecurity is that the 'typical' hackers/cyberthieves don't want to "work" for it ... don't be the "low hanging fruit" and they'll move on ...

I've worked quite a few criminal investigations of internet scammers. Some info:

- A lot of these originate in Africa, BUT they use American citizens as "fronts", people who natively speak English so as not to arouse suspicion. These people get a cut of all money taken in. Some are homeless and work out of a public library until they have enough trust in them to send them their own laptop. These are commissioned based deals.
- Emails addresses are based overseas, but the primary and US citizen both have access to it. They can be running two dozen different email accounts at the same time.
- Phone numbers are spoofed. They will pick an area code and phone prefix similar to your area to make you comfortable
- IP locations can be spoofed to conceal true origins
- Copies of FFLs can be digitally altered. Verify through the ATF website
- Identification can be digitally altered. I have a collection of ID cards with the same face, but many different names and addresses.
- Photos are reused many times in various advertisements, across multiple forums. Reverse search the photo.

I'd like to talk to all y'all about your vehicle's extended warranty.... 😁

My dad answered one of these the other day. Then proceeded to stay on the line with them (we were in the middle of something so I was slightly annoyed, knowing what type of calls these are). He answered some questions and the lady asked for the year make and model of his vehicle. He answered "'96 Ford Ranger" (which is his "wood getter" truck). There was a silence for a few seconds, and the lady hung up on him. I about died laughing 😂😂😂😂😂 Well played, Dad!

I think we have another one active right now ...