another Savage

Dead Beat

000_0161.jpg

ok here is my new rifle this going to give me the practice to be able to shoot long range it started as a 12 BVSS in 308 win i put in a JOEL RUSSO A5L
stock it has 26 in. heavy flutted barrel farrel rings Burris XTR rings Super Sniper 10X scope the pillars/ bedding and finished i did !! cuz im cheap and love to work with my hands

its cheaper to shoot than my LSS 300 rum and when i figure out what im doing. ill switch to the 300 new barrel new long range scope new stock the rifle will go to Shawn or Kirby if i can talk them into it after cristmas any advice would be appriciated

JIM

Last edited:
Great Job!!!
Is it still a 308? looking at the picture it appears to be a long action. What are your thoughts about the SS scope? I heard they were goning to make a variable scope this year.

No , the new savages are short action or long action just like remmy. I have a very old short action that is a long action with the bottom only cut part way out for the clip.

Nice lookin Savage DB! Good well thought out plan too :cool:

They made a J action for a while too, they can be had a LOT cheaper than the new Traget actions and funtion very well.
From the top
A 93 in 17HMR
J single shot action in 243 (Has since been switched over to an 8twist 6mmBR cause its so easy)
J single shot action in 243 left bone stock cause it shoots the 55 Noslers soo sweet:D
110 left handed Tacticle converted to 204, one of the last long= short actions. Has ben known to ware numerous 223,223ai and 204 barrels.
Stevens(Savage without the accutrigger) with a SS 204 barrel off of a 116 Savage.
110 Long action for the 25-06,6.5-284 and 30-06 barrels

8-07%20Savages.jpg

Nice rifle ..
Man Joel builds some nice stocks - i love laminated wood..

MachV-anyone of those rifles ever whopped a praire dog ??

Nice rig I have to build me a savage one of these days.

I have been using a super sniper for the last 9 months and I love it. If they made a variable I would buy one.

Deadbeat,

You do good work with those hands. Inexpensive sure doesn't mean cheap!

You'll like the SS too. I have a 10X and 16X both are sweet for these old eyes.

I set the parallax at 400 (about) and have no parallax from 300 to 1200. I suppose that's not good for some but works well for me.

Have fun shooting that thing. I'm onto the same kind of a project where I can practice long range and not have to use a shovel for the powder.;)

Deadbeat

Great looking rifle

Do it your self projects are allways the most satisfying.

I to like the laminated stocks and realy like the looks of
this one.

Could you or someone give me the address or E/Mail of
joe Russo I could not find it.

Again,"great job"
J E CUSTOM

thanks for the kind words everyone . kb its still a 308 its basically a factory rifle except the stock ill get to the range in about a week .ill shoot it awhile and see i what i make her do then if im not happy ill do a barrel swap

as far as the SS to my eyes there pretty good for the money there suppose to come out with a variable pretty soon

i wanted to do and adjustable cheek and butt only i ran out of time im going black bear hunting in a month and need the time to find a good load for it when i get back ill put the adjustable hardware on her

i like the satisfaction of putting together something with my hands its half the fun if i was younger i would think about being smith anyway thanks again

JIM

MachV,
What did you use as a base stock on the bottom rifle, that is really a class stock,,,how did you do it?

Last edited:
it's a laminated version of the A5 mcmllian synthetic stock its finished with a wipe on urathane tongue oil i picked up at wood craft its desinged for floors and is real tough
Joel Russo cut it for me 5 weeks to get it limb saver grind to fit recoil pad

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.