Another Rifle builder seeking advice

coopersguide

First post for me - long time reader. First, I want to say I have learned a TON from the post on this site. A lot of great people with huge experience that are willing to share. Best site I have followed... Much appreciated!

I am in the process of having a custom rifle built (1st one) and have a couple of questions I would appreciate any thoughts on. My goal is a light(er) weight rifle for deer hunting in the back country that I can still accurately shoot to 600 yards. Accuracy is very important.

Am building with the following:
260 AI
Bartlein barrel 23" #19 Mag Sporter .650
Remington 7 action
Manners EH1 stock (not yet purchased)
Trigger Tech trigger

My questions are:

1. With the Bartlein barrel I have on order would it look ok on a Manners EH1 (don't want it to look overly small inside the stock)?? Also considering a Game Warden #2??
2. I want to glass bed - but NO idea on what bottom metal I want?? I DO want lighter and have no problem with a BDL type floor plate. What Mfg. / model would I want? I am understanding that Manners will contour to a number of different bottom metals. Cost is really not an issue. Want to glass bed to allow as much accuracy as possible so I am leaning away from Manners MCS DBM Mini Chassis?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

If your gonna have some freebore to get the bearing surface out of powder space think your gonna run into some mag box length issues in a short action. You will be right at 2.98 with the bearing surface boatail at the neck shoulder junction on a 140 Berger.

Last edited:
First post for me - long time reader. First, I want to say I have learned a TON from the post on this site. A lot of great people with huge experience that are willing to share. Best site I have followed... Much appreciated!

I am in the process of having a custom rifle built (1st one) and have a couple of questions I would appreciate any thoughts on. My goal is a light(er) weight rifle for deer hunting in the back country that I can still accurately shoot to 600 yards. Accuracy is very important.

260 AI
Remington 7 action
Trigger Tech trigger

My questions are:

1. With the Bartlein barrel I have on order would it look ok on a Manners EH1 (don't want it to look overly small inside the stock)?? Also considering a Game Warden #2??
2. I want to glass bed - but NO idea on what bottom metal I want?? I DO want lighter and have no problem with a BDL type floor plate. What Mfg. / model would I want? I am understanding that Manners will contour to a number of different bottom metals. Cost is really not an issue. Want to glass bed to allow as much accuracy as possible so I am leaning away from Manners MCS DBM Mini Chassis?

Thanks,
Joe
I would have a gunsmith cut out metal, to provide for a longer box. Ed Sweet Meridian Idaho has done this many times. I have used Bartlein #2's love them.

I would have a gunsmith cut out metal, to provide for a longer box. Ed Sweet Meridian Idaho has done this many times. I have used Bartlein #2's love them.
It has been over 30 years ago but he may was able to extend only the ADL and using one trigger guard screw. ( I wanted more length for 6mm-.284 )

I can't comment on the weight, but the mini chassis is very repeatable and accurate. Seriously, just bolt in and go. I've got one and it's been awesome.

Thanks guys
I went with the Model 7 action as I have an old Rem. model 7 in 260 Rem that could not hit a barn wall from the inside of the barn. Glass bedded, cut new crown, endless reloading.......
Wanted to go with the 260 ai for something different an a little extra speed and presuming the 260ai would cycle as well as a 260 Rem.

260 AI
Remington 7 action
Trigger Tech trigger

My questions are:

Thanks,
Joe
A few things to clarify to help us help you:
  • Why a model 7 action over a model 700
  • Why an ai cartridge when there are so many standard .264 rounds today that have similar or better performance than an ai with less throat erosion and are easier to get components for - and will easily fit in a short action due to case design
  • Buying a stock from manner who will inlet for nearly anything from anyone will eliminate fitment issues. Glass and pillar bedding is always recommended but if you are going to be super hard on your gear and use it like a PRS rifle, a mini-chassis is a great idea

Nothing wrong without being in the norm! The question is not the reason why? Building whatever makes a person happy might be the logical choice. Being different keeps things interesting on a positive side.