Another reason Why I hate California

Maybe so but in Cali when people were converting "gas hogs" to propane and natural gas vehicle Cali squashed that with regulations. All part of their clean energy ideas. If we allowed people to do those conversions cheaply then the propane and natural gas usage and price would have been more stable and economically viable. IMO. T Boone Pickens pushed that idea.

I turn 55 this December. Decided to buy myself a wonderful senior citizen gift for myself in the form of a GA Precision Crusader in 6.5 PRC. It was suppose to be completed in early December but it arrived at the gun store a week ago. I started to fill out the paperwork and the salesman says I need my social security card and a utility bill showing the same address as my driver license. Is this just a California thing because last year when I purchased a rifle, my license and my retired sheriff ID was good enough. And don't even get me started on the taxes here.
I feel for you. I was born in So Cal. I moved out of Cali in 2005. I have been happy ever since. Cali is about the worst state to do business in. they have a strangle hold on vital parts of your anatomy and insist on squeezing hard at times.

I could be wrong but I think your sales person was misinformed. I looked at the DROS and another form and I saw no mention of a SSN#. I do remember a form and the SSN# was listed, but was optional. Congrats on your retirement! I used to train officers down there many years ago. I also was born in "64" and knew some LASD down there.
Your SSN is optional on the 4473 in Nevada.
your SSN goes on the 4473 left hand side, lower corner of your personal information 2 lines above the first question.
SSN is specifically Question 8. question 9 is UPIN Unique personal Identification Number.

I believe the 4473 is a Federal form. So it should be the same in all states.

Those who continue to leave your children in government run schools, regardless of state, are contributing to the problem. I graduated from a government school in a very conservative Idaho way in 2001, and the fruits are terrifying for anyone who loves liberty and is not a statist. I once said this as hyperbole, but now I realize it isn't: putting your children in government run schools is child abuse.

Sadly in a year or two I'm moving from Nevada to Thousand Oaks, People's Republic of California.

BUT... I'll still buy my ammo here in Nevada when I visit. And when I move I'll be stocked up on powder, primers, cases and bullets "for the foreseeable future".

Eric B.

I turn 55 this December. Decided to buy myself a wonderful senior citizen gift for myself in the form of a GA Precision Crusader in 6.5 PRC. It was suppose to be completed in early December but it arrived at the gun store a week ago. I started to fill out the paperwork and the salesman says I need my social security card and a utility bill showing the same address as my driver license. Is this just a California thing because last year when I purchased a rifle, my license and my retired sheriff ID was good enough. And don't even get me started on the taxes here.
That's because you live in a communist police state where illegals will have more rights and get more benefits then you. When do Californians wake up?

Sadly in a year or two I'm moving from Nevada to Thousand Oaks, People's Republic of California.

BUT... I'll still buy my ammo here in Nevada when I visit. And when I move I'll be stocked up on powder, primers, cases and bullets "for the foreseeable future".

Eric B.
Bad news and good news: This year the Calif laws were changed again. Only FFL holders can bring loaded ammunition into the State. I cannot legally go to AZ and buy a box of hunting ammo...use a round to hunt with while in AZ and then bring the remains 19 rounds back to CA.
Good news! The wonderful law makers have not done anything to stop us from buying components out of State (via the internet or while travelling) and " rolling" our own ammo.
So stock up with components before you move here.
If you want to hunt in CA be sure to only buy and bring non-lead projectiles. Mustn't allow our condors from eating the lead.
Enough venting...just wanted you to know our latest laws.
Ed

I just got an Email that your Gov just signed 15 new gun control bills. Looks like the law abiding folks out there are in for more misery.

You didnt need your social security card, if your driver's license has a current address you should have been good with your retiree credentials. If it is an old address or po box you have to prove current physical address- this is atf mandate not ca doj. Such a hassle, I always get a chuckle walking in carrying concealed and having to come back 10 days later to pick up my new gun
ATF?

I assume California has their own ATF?, because that's not the case here.

That'd be a major problem for me, because my residence is way out in the country. My DL shows my physical address (where my house actually is), a 9-1-1 address. I recieved no mail at this address, the post office in the small town I live has no rural carrier. So, I have a PO box in the town a few miles down the road, where I work and spend most of my time. I wouldn't be able to buy a gun at all.

I just fill out a yellow sheet, the dealer writes my DL# and CCW# on it and out the door I go. We dont even have background chk if you have a CCW card. Makes it worth the expense and hassle. You folks in California are nuts for letting them strip your rights away.

I honestly cannot feel sorry for Anyone in California. You all keep electing the same Commie Idiots over and over and over again. This fact alone should be enough to End voting rights period. Voting is too much power to put into the hands of Fools.

ATF?

I assume California has their own ATF?, because that's not the case here.

Yes- ca doj has a firearms bureau and each firearm is recorded by dealers record of sale (DROS) but the original poster needed docs to fulfill residency requirements and this is logged on the federal form 4473 and retained with the subsequent dros on a handgun sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.