Another one bites the dust

Need more wolf killers out there in that state I hunt. If I lived out there, I'd be trying to put the hammer down too. Nice work .

Lots of questions Brent as obviously you have killed a lot of them and that alone is not coincidence. Are figure certain areas are preferred by wolves when they are in the area. Could you describe how a wolf uses an area, how they prefer to move thru it when, they are hunting, when they are just traveling and when they lay up. Here is Montana they like to lay on high ridges with a view. Can you describe some situation where they lay up in. The story about that alpha male that followed you after you killed 3 of his pack would be interesting.
I hunted lions here in Montana for 10 years with hounds so I realize a large predator moves thru an area and their range is huge. In 10 years we treed 59 lions and I was just a weekend warrior. In some ways I have seen where wolves move thru an area like a lion but they seem to lay up way different. What ever system or understanding you have Brent it is obviously working and I would guess the time commitment is huge.

Last edited:
Lots of questions Brent as obviously you have killed a lot of them and that alone is not coincidence. Are figure certain areas are preferred by wolves when they are in the area. Could you describe how a wolf uses an area, how they prefer to move thru it when, they are hunting, when they are just traveling and when they lay up. Here is Montana they like to lay on high ridges with a view. Can you describe some situation where they lay up in. The story about that alpha male that followed you after you killed 3 of his pack would be interesting.
I hunted lions here in Montana for 10 years with hounds so I realize a large predator moves thru an area and their range is huge. In 10 years we treed 59 lions and I was just a weekend warrior. In some ways I have seen where wolves move thru an area like a lion but they seem to lay up way different. What ever system or understanding you have Brent it is obviously working and I would guess the time commitment is huge.
Wolves tend to have a big territory but it seems to depend more on the terrain. Where I am it's more open and steep. They run the ridge lines and drop down to hunt. They run up high to sleep and observe and run low to travel at night. They cover a lot of territory by our standards. It used to be they'd hang out in a area for 3-5 days but now it's 1-2 and 3 if you're lucky. It makes it really hard to pattern and get ahead of them. I was on a couple packs last month and royally screwed up on them. Long story but had multiple potential shot ops but things got sideways and went home with a bruised ego. I missed one last weekend at 1400. Error on vertical wind. 🤦‍♂️ It really boils down to finding areas they like to frequent, being vigilant, and never think you've got it all figured out.

Trapper friend here, mostly coyotes (70-100 a year ) but has taken 5-6 wolves. He quit wolves as they are not worth his time. Before we had a season the wolves were very regular, they would pass thru every 7-10 days but 4-5 years after we were able to hunt/trap them it became more sporadic like every 3-4 weeks. A Canadian friend of his said he believed it was because of the lack of game, it took the wolves longer to kill, they expand there range and consequently they took longer to pass thru. May make some sense. This fellow trapped the largest female wolf in Montana one year, she was 96# in the field a person would have guessed her a male. Listen to this, he used a drag, checked trap every couple days, 1st day he caught her there was a ground blizzard and he checks trap from a couple hundred yards away with binos, she was in some brush and he doesn't see her, couple days later he checks again, sees the trap is gone follows up, she is a few hundred yards away and the pack has brought her a fresh mule deer hind quarter to feed her while caught😳 he also took a 2 year old out of that pack same day five miles away. The amount of area they travel easily is unreal.