Another new guy question

rbecker08

Hey everyone you all have given me some great advice so far and I really appreciate it. I have a rem 700 and am looking to put it on an Accuracy International AICS stock. However eventually I am going to get a new barrel as well before putting this all together how do you know what barrel contour to get. I am just curious if a stock is only able to accept one barrel shape or can any stock be made to work with any contour. Thanks Rich

Hey everyone you all have given me some great advice so far and I really appreciate it. I have a rem 700 and am looking to put it on an Accuracy International AICS stock. However eventually I am going to get a new barrel as well before putting this all together how do you know what barrel contour to get. I am just curious if a stock is only able to accept one barrel shape or can any stock be made to work with any contour. Thanks Rich

Rich

I normally recomend a barrel contour based on the use,range requirements,and caliber.

If it is used as a short range hunting rifle then almost any contour will work.

If its a magnum with lots of recoil a #5 to #8 contour is recomended.

If it is going to be a loooong range rifle then a longer barrel (30+") in a #6 or larger.

Normaly a standard sporter rifle stock can be opened up to a #5 contour without removing
to much stock and weakening it.

The #5.5s and larger barrel contours require a bigger forend like on varmint stocks or
larger.

Go with the largest barrel that your stock will allow unless you plan on replaceing it.

J E CUSTOM

So any contour can fit in a stock I was worried more about the parts fitting I am shooting a 300 Win Mag and looking to do some target shooting at about 1000 yds and a 5-8 will work well....thanks for the advice

The AICS chassis has a large barrel channel and will handle the majority of barrels out there.

DSC01097-Copy.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.