Another new guy from Texas

Traxxx

I've been reading and and staying back.
I picked up a Winchester Model 70 classic stainless in 338 win mag. After calling Winchester arms customer service I got the year made in 1994. I am still looking into mounts and scope (prefer a fixed 10 slim). Then later a stock and accuratising.
Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like a nice rifle and an earlier classic which some say are better quality than the later models.
Are you going to use a sporter type stock ?

One thing you might check is the feeding. I've had a few Winchester magnums and on some, the cartridges will come out or partially come out of the top of the magazine when the bolt is brought back sharply. Some simple magazine tweaking can fix that or in some cases a Remington magazine spring will make the difference.

Thanks Terry, I am still undecided for the stock. I really like the looks of the McMillian Game Scout, I just wish I could hold one.
I have been playing with some snap caps, working the action, feed it etc.... If I bring the bolt back sharply then the snap cap goes flying. I will try to see if I can get her to malfunction.
I was planning to take her out to shoot today but got caught on the tractor all day trying to catch up on the mowing.
I did however get a Bushy 6500 Tac 6-24 x 50 mounted and a caldwell bipod both were sitting the the safe. They won't stay since I don't want the HUGE tactical knobs or illuminated reticle.
I am thinking a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 10x40mm (30mm) M3 Mil Dot to keep it simple and slick.

As she sits now.
IMG_0347 copy.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.