another new barrel caliber

joe boyd

I ordered a 6.5 x 8 1/2 twist barrel from sinclair ( krieger ). my intentions were to build a 6.5-284 as a bean field gun for my wife. After reading Kirby's recommendations on a remmy long action being used for a 6.5-06AI , I wonder as to die availability . how can a newbe make sure his dies match the chamber of the gun. It would seem to me that an accurate 6.5-06 AI would be a routine barrel change along with truing up the action and replacing the tupperware stock with one from McMillon or H.S. . Any and all opinions are needed , as I am walking down an unknown road. What would the more imformed members of this forum suggest.Thank you all, Joe

Joe Boyd,

Certainly if you have a Rem 700 Long Action, the 6.5mm-06 AI will give you a much easier platform to work with compared to the 6.5-284 even though it is also not abig deal to fit into the rifle.

I am a big game hunter and as such I like the increased performance of the 6.5-06 AI compared to the 284 version. Also, if you get quality brass and it is certainly available, the 6.5-06 AI can be an extremely accurate long range round.

I would go with Redding dies. Contact them, they may even have them in stock ready to ship.

The McMillan would be my top choice for an aftermarket stock but there are no flies on the H-S stocks either as long as they are set up correctly.

Accuracy potential and consistancy potential would lean toward the 6.5-284 at least on paper, in the real world under field conditions, if the rifle is fitted precisely, I would say you would be hard pressed to prove one is better then the other in accuracy or consistancy.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Since Kirby has been kind enough to suggest different options, I have another question. Which cartridge, 6.5-284, 6,5-06 A.I., or 6.5-270 WSM ??? I have a m700 308 varmit gun that could be fitted with a davidson magazine follower
and chambered as a 6.5-284, I have a m700 30-06 ADL for either a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06, and I have a sendero in 300 saum
that could end up 6.5-270wsm?? this gun is for my wife to use on beanfields. all input will be appreciated.
thank you
Joe

Joe,

The 6.5-06 AI and the 6.5 WSM will be pretty much ballistic twins and both will outpeprform the 6.5-284 as far as ballistic performance goes from a shear velocity potential outlook.

The 6.5-06 AI will be the best feeding of the three with the 284 and WSM being about the same as far as feeding quality. The 284 may have a slight edge as far as feeding over the WSM.

Accuracy potential in all with a quality rifle will be extreme. As far as loading easy. The 284 may have a slight edge with factory formed brass but the 6.5-06 AI is extremely easy to load for. As is the 6.5 WSM using 270 brass which can be sized down in one step through the 6.5 WSM FL die.

Personally I am partial to the 6.5-06 AI but that is just me personally.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.