Another leupold boone and crockett question

IdahoRedneck

Hello all,

I ran a quick search and have found several threads in regards to the moa distance between the elevation holds........Im good here ....what im lookin for is a measured moa hold for windage.

All I can find is that they are 10 mph holds. So I would assume the second cross hair is 2 moa and the third is 3 moa.......not sure if this is correct. Rangetime seems hard to come by now days as my son is 18 months and keeps us busy...haha.

My plan is to shoot at 100 yards the next time I get to the range and measure the hold......center of group to poa and will call this the actual moa hold for the second and third cross hair.

Step two of my plan is to set my second cross hair zero to 300 yards and that will give me a "two moa" wind hold for all dialed elevation adjustments. All dialed shots will be shot off second cross hair.

With the moa spacing from first to second being 2.19 shooter says my first cross hair should be then be zeroed for 180

So my question is has any one set there rig up this way and do you have an actual moa wind hold value for first and second xross hair. Or will this not work for any reason.... Thanks in advance

Max plinkin at rocks and such will be 1200 yards........max hunting distance out to about the same as my confidence grows.......caliber is 300 ultra. Scope is 4.5-14x40 long range with of course the bandc reticle

Oops and forgot to add that I recently just confirmed that I know the holds will only be accurate on 14 power or the large triangle....... Thank you Outlaw 6.0:D. I have shot and validated comeups out to 1175 but would prefer to hold for wind..... Realisticly for me if its blowin more than 10 I dont have the confidence in my setup to pull the trigger on a game animal out past around 4-5 just to see if I hit it. My longest poke was just over 600 on a cow and I got her but was pure luck (a hail mary if you will). I wanna know im gonna hit it. So rocks look out...im comin for ya haha.

Ive thought about selling my AR to get into a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 with MOAR or NPR but now that obama is back in I think I better hold onto it awhile and see what happens. Dan

Dang... Nobody.....I hear cricketts in this post. Maybe ill just stick to dialing elevation and wind and using the first cross hair for everything. Dan

Call or email leupold tech dept- they are very helpful. I would feel more comfortable getting info right from the horses mouth rather than from some less informed source.
I had one of the original scopes you have when they first came out. In the heat of the battle I kept getting paralysis by analysis. I leave nothing to chance anymore - dial everything. If that takes too long - so be it - I look for another one.
Not knocking the scope or reticle - it does what it was designed to do. I just couldn't do the part on my end EVERY time.

Dan, here's a link to the subtensions of the BAS reticles--

http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/BAS_Inst_Manual_17July12.pdf?9d7bd4

Don't do the shoot at 100-yd. deal and try and match your trajectory to the reticle. The only way to know what's going on downrange is to shoot at those distances. Shooting @ 100 doesn't tell you anything in this regard.

Thanks..... But im not trying to match my trajectery to the reticle.... What im trying do do is see if can use the reticle a little differently. I will zero my second cross hair for 300 yards and all dialed shots will be shot off that cross hair. My thinking was I could measure that wind hold at at 100 in moa, then that way all my dialed shots would have at least a 2 moa hold if I needed it.trying to eliminate dialing for wind. Now I realize that two moa of wind is not alot and ill still have to dial some if its blowin more than say 5-7 mph but figured if this works I could ge some good practice dialing elevation and holding some wind out to 6,7,800 yards or so....

Example if the hold measures 2 inches at 100 I could assume this is a two moa hold then shoot at say 600 and measure the same hold and it should be around 12 inches... This will allow me to hold for up to 2 moa of wind on all dialed shots...... Does that make sense..... Im not sure if it will work or not thats why I was wondering if anybody had an actual moa measurement for the wind holds. All it saus in your link is 10 mph drift.....

Perhaps I will give Leupold a call and see what they say.... Ultimately I want to get into an Nightforce like I said but was just trying to make what I got work for a little longer til I can afford one. And also to get in some more practice.:Dgun)

I think he's right on not using the 100 as a tool. If there is any canting you will not be able to get a consistent measure.

Dan,

Not sure but this might help you in what you're trying to achieve ... if you have a droid phone, you can download the Strelok for free. I haven't had a chance to play with it much or confirm beyond 300 yards but I was within 1.0-1.5" off at 300 yards.

Here's what I have for my .300 Win Mag, 200 gr NAB at 2950 FPS zeroed at 100 yards, 59 degrees, 5K elevation, 10 MPH wind ...

BooneandCrockettLeupold.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

Looking at the windage subtensions of the B&C reticle you may as well just calc. a system for 2 and 3 MOA respectively since the actual subtensions are close enough to those values that the error will be insignificant for practical field applications.

Unfortunately the subtensions aren't wide enough to use at extended distances probably, although u could get a rough interpolation by applying the entire windage line at 4 and 6 MOA respectively. I've done this myself as long as there's a reference point in the background of the FOV to go off of. It can work though it's definitely an improvisation of sorts.

The Varmint Hunters reticle is much better for this since they put 6 1.77 MOA units right along the horizontal axis, and works great for this app.

Looking at the windage subtensions of the B&C reticle you may as well just calc. a system for 2 and 3 MOA respectively since the actual subtensions are close enough to those values that the error will be insignificant for practical field applications.

Unfortunately the subtensions aren't wide enough to use at extended distances probably, although u could get a rough interpolation by applying the entire windage line at 4 and 6 MOA respectively. I've done this myself as long as there's a reference point in the background of the FOV to go off of. It can work though it's definitely an improvisation of sorts.

The Varmint Hunters reticle is much better for this since they put 6 1.77 MOA units right along the horizontal axis, and works great for this app.

Yeah believe me I know its improvising. :DI do have the whole reticle mapped out for my load and it works well as someone already said for what it was designed to do... I thought I might just take it a little further and use the second cross hair only for all dialed shots. That in turn would give me a hold for up to two minutes on all dialed shots. Then in turn if I was walkin through trees or found myself in a situation where I needed to get off a quick shot my first cross hair would be zeroed at 180. Like I said I know 2 moa aint alot of hold but shooter says I should be able to get out to around 700 in a full value 5-7 mph 90° wind. Any more than that and ill just dial windage and hold right on like ive been doin. I just thought for huntin purposes I could dial elevation and hold wind on one cross hair out to around 700 if it aint blowin too hard.

Ill give it a go and test it out on some rocks and such and just keep waitin for the day I can get into a NXS.
Thank you very much for your link thats what I was lookin for...
And thanks to everyone else for the replies:) Dan

Well after some more brainstorming...... Maybe I will try to set it up to use the cross hairs as they were designed out to 520 which is the third cross hair. Then mark and etch my turret so that all dialed shots will be shot off the third cross hair that will give me up to 3 moa to hold for all dialed shots past 520. hmmm gonna have to play with this idea a little:rolleyes:.... Roy called my condition tinkeritis:D

That would give me marked yardage out to 1060 when I etch my turret... I like the sound of thatgun) Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.