Another Hornady issue

nbowlin

This is coming off condemning a rifle after fighting 175x's and 180m's. Strange circumstances leading to a rage induced rebarrel job and going to 6.5. 8tw 27" deal.
Started off with the intent of shooting the 150smk's or the 147m's. It wasn't too far into it that the 147's came through with 4 groups in the .25-.3 size with single digit spreads.(after sorting the bullets by weight to help with flyers). This was with H1000 at 3340, retumbo at 3200, RL26 at 3225, and RL 33 at 3308 which won out cause it was the least pressure and repeated its .25 groups. So super excited.......then took it to the 650 steel and it looked like some one shot the plate with buckshot from 30yrds. This trend was then repeated with the other powders, primers etc. So back to hating Hornady stuff.

I give up the bc and go to the
142 accubond long range
140 Berger
142 smk
143 eldx
All these were out over the same charge of RL33 at what I have found to be a happy seating depth for each bullet. More oddity now.
The 142lrab was 3220
The 142smk was 3170's
The 143eldx was 3200
The 140 vid was 3180's
So puzzled by the drop in velocity. No pressure with any of them. I took the more promising of them. The lrab's along with the smk's and added powder. The sierras didn't like it the Noslers didn't mind (by far the most promising) but didn't pick up speed. Can't really figure out how the 33 is too slow and the larger bearing surface that's slowing it down isn't liking it. I have left over 147's for fouling rounds and the speed is still there with them....onward to rl 26 now and long story short they pressure out before I get to what I am after for velocity And the es sucks anyways so no need to settle. Retumbo is the same boat. These loads were taken to 650 and shot as expected with the 100yd groupings and the poopy es but hands down better than the 147's.

Some one needs to invent RL 30 or I am trying to find VV565. Thought maybe that would be a good one. Is there another powder in that retumbo to 33 window I missed? 8133 made gnarly carbon rings pretty darn quick in the rifle so I'm hesitant to go back to that.

You didn't mention what you are shooting. H1000 and RL-33 gave you almost identical velocities? I would run with H-1000 if that is true.

As for spraying at distance. I have had that happen three times with rifles and the solution was to open up the barrel channel. It didn't show at 100 yds but sure did at distance! Don't dismiss the loads just yet make sure the rifle is sound.

You didn't mention what you are shooting. H1000 and RL-33 gave you almost identical velocities? I would run with H-1000 if that is true.

As for spraying at distance. I have had that happen three times with rifles and the solution was to open up the barrel channel. It didn't show at 100 yds but sure did at distance! Don't dismiss the loads just yet make sure the rifle is sound.
I'm amazed that you came to that conclusion. I'm sure the barrels of those 3 rifles were not touching initially-was there some sort of evidence saying " open me up here" ? Shiny spot on the barrel maybe ? I caught a touching trigger by accident, and can now attribute 90% of my early struggles to that. But that was direct cause and effect. Trigger felt good off stock, not good on stock. How would a guy figure out a barrel needs MORE clearance ?

H1000 was dismissed due to it being erratic with pressure. I believe it was case fill issue. Unless it's in the trigger action section there is no stock to barrel contact. The lrab 142 sucked right up at distance in direct proportion to its 100yd. A .3 group with a crap 30fps es was out there two close and a wanderer 3/3.5". Just couldn't get the speed and the spread to acceptable levels. I just don't think the 147, 175, and 180 want to Go fast. I called Hornady on the 180's and asked if it was a bullet jacket, twist rate, speed type issue and got a canned answer about Creedmoors doing amazing. But that what 25-2700fps. Not 32-3400fps.
Also for what it's worth. There was concern as to the lrab not staying together close at speed. It was shot through a piece of concrete house siding in front of three water filled bleach bottle at 100yds....So 3190 or some fps. Made through all of them and was dug out of the ground behind a perfect little mushroom. I was surprised and impressed.

Gregg,

All three rifles used McMillan stocks that were floated with minimal clearance. I was using a bi-pod and I felt that there could have been some interference between barrel and stock. Tried more clearance with the first rifle with the chance it would work. It did.
At a later date when another rifle shot well at 100 and poorly at 500 M, I floated it and again solved the issue. Third rifle responded to more float when it shot poorly too. Not saying anyone else's rifle will have same issue. Illustrated it to suggest it is important to have a sound rifle.

Thanks. Trial and error sometimes carries the day ! And in the immortal words of Hannibal Smith , I love it when a plan comes together ! Thanks again.

Take a good look at rl25. I've been running it in my 7stw for 15 years now. It is the best powder for a 140 in my particular rifle (and the other two barrels I've had too). I also use it in my 300rum if I'm pushing 180's.
As to hunting for a load and things not going well, I feel your pain. I thought I had a load for my 7rum with retumbo and 183 sierra's. I had a barrel channel issue (binding on the straight shank) and when resolved, the load went to pot. I'll be playing with h50bmg and rl33 soon in this girl, but a 140 and rl25 already shoots decently. I just hate to run a .400 bc bullet when there are higher bc options.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.