Another Hornady brass thread!

I JUST BUY THE BERGER AMMUNITION. LAPUA BRASS INCLUDED AS LONG AS YOU DON'T MIND THE SMALL PRIMER POCKET. Don't have any idea why Hornady can't get their quality act together on brass.

I know this has been said before but , why does it have to be like this? So I fire sized 100 Hornady 6.5 creedmoor cases while breaking in my new rifle. Loaded 50 in 25 case batches doing final break in and load development last summer. Loaded the other 50 with my best load and never fired a shot during hunting season. Went out today, 30 degrees , and started shooting . I put 10 rounds down the tube and half the cases had split necks. Any one else have an issue with necks splitting in the cold but not when it's warmer? Should I be looking at a better quality brass? 2 shots per case isn't gonna be any cheaper than 5 plus from Lapua or adg . Thoughts?
I guess my Remington 300 Weatherby brass was not so bad after all

Just buy better brass. Lots of options. Lapua, Alpha, ADG, Peterson. Spend $1-$2/piece. It's way cheaper in the long run when it lasts 3-5x longer and you'll have better loads up front.
Gotta say you are better in the long run $ wise with the premium brass.

That also was good advice back aways on the cheap Lee collet neck dies, least runout for not a lot of money. Dave

Ok this wasn't as hard to figure with your help. Looks like my die is sizing my neck way too much. Still not sure why it took the temp change to show up. Here's all the numbers I could get.
1582404236814.jpeg

Now here's what I'm thinking. Scrap the RCBS die and get a bushing die. What size bushings should I get? Looks to me maybe a .288, .287 and .286 ? I am gonna order some Peterson brass and hope I can match the accuracy I did get the other day. 1/3 moa at 350 yards first group of the day

Now here's what I'm thinking. Scrap the RCBS die and get a bushing die. What size bushings should I get? Looks to me maybe a .288, .287 and .286 ? I am gonna order some Peterson brass and hope I can match the accuracy I did get the other day. 1/3 moa at 350 yards first group of the day

Well it certainly looks like your RCBS dies are over working your brass. I would still like to know what has made the cases on your stored ammo brittle but we may never know!

If it were me I would order the new brass and seat a bullet in one of the cases with your RCBS seater and then measure the OD. Then after deducting what ever neck tension you want (0.002?) you could order the correct bushing.

Hornady has been fine for me - use it for my 6.5 Sherman and it's formed and held up well so far. If ADG offered 270 Win or 280 Rem brass, I'd make the switch, but for the price, I'll keep going with the Hornady.

Time will tell if the Hornady 300 RUM brass will hold up. I've got a nice batch of ADG to swap to once the primer pockets go out.

I know this has been said before but , why does it have to be like this? So I fire sized 100 Hornady 6.5 creedmoor cases while breaking in my new rifle. Loaded 50 in 25 case batches doing final break in and load development last summer. Loaded the other 50 with my best load and never fired a shot during hunting season. Went out today, 30 degrees , and started shooting . I put 10 rounds down the tube and half the cases had split necks. Any one else have an issue with necks splitting in the cold but not when it's warmer? Should I be looking at a better quality brass? 2 shots per case isn't gonna be any cheaper than 5 plus from Lapua or adg . Thoughts?

What I have found with Hornaday everything is a lack of consistancy. in your case it may be a lack of aneiling. Stopped using Hornady a long time ago for the same reason. I may shoot a lot more than some of you. a good 100 to 150 every week end. Went to Lapua for the same reason. Peterson brass has been good as well.

You can talk to 10 shooters that shoot Hornaday and get 2 or 3 different answers. My 2 cents.

I have notice several comments about annealing brass. Is there some way to do this other than buying the one unit that costs about $2500? At that point I think it would be cheaper to just buy new brass. I have a lot and wondering what methods some of you guys use.
I do it the old fashioned way. Get a wide frying pan and put a half inch of water in it. Just make sure your case heads are covered in water. Heat them until a color change with a propane torch and tip them over in the water. Good to go :) Do not put too much water in though or it will pull the heat away so fast you will never get them hot enough for a color change. The neck shoulder is all you need to do. Good luck

Last edited:
Order a bushing .003 smaller than one of your loaded rounds.

I bought 250 when gander outdoor shut down. 2 one lot 3 the other. The other 150 are still in the packages. My plan was run the 100 twice, put them up . Run another 100 twice then have them all annealed. I never thought to check my size die without the expander. the other numbers checked out really good after the fire forming and compared to the few factory rounds I shot! Only other thing I can add that may have a bearing is I did sort the brass into 4 weights after full prep and this was the lightest group.