Another Hornady brass thread!

Only thing I've done differently is fire the second batch of 50 in much colder weather. I sized and prepped all 100 at same time after fire forming. I tumble with corn cob media and I don't tumble to a mirror finish. I clean dirty necks with scotch brite pad. I'll have to pull my die apart and see how much I'm squeezing the neck in morning.

Did any of the 50 that you fired when it was warmer split?

Did any of the 50 that you fired when it was warmer split?
Nope, no issues at all! I'm gonna check my die and see how hard it's working the brass. I've used RCBS dies for 25 years without issues but one never knows until you check I guess!

Nope, no issues at all! I'm gonna check my die and see how hard it's working the brass. I've used RCBS dies for 25 years without issues but one never knows until you check I guess!

Good idea to check your dies but I still can't understand how cases that were sized at the same time all of a sudden start cracking. Yes I realize it was colder but you guys must hunt in temps much colder than 30 degrees at times?

I think I've added polish 3 times in last 10 years. Lol Like I said I do minimal tumbling. There's always a piece of fine scotch brite for dirty brass on my bench

So far I am having good luck with Hornady brass. I like it. Have you called Hornady. I would bitch up a storm. It may be something with your rifle and not a brass issue.

Last edited:
Been using Hornady brass in my match Creedmoor since 2008 and my last batch I prepped was 900 cases. Have shot it from single digits to over 100 degrees and never had a split case. I am betting there is something going on here outside the brass.

I prefer Lapau and Norma, but on all American brass, I anneal them before I ever fire them, and then every 5 to 10 firings.
They can last forever. I threw out a bunch of American 22-250 that had almost 50 hot loads on them... no split necks.

We bought 500 rounds of hornady for the 6.5 saum, when I first started building them. 400 cases had loose primer pockets after the first firing. The other hundred didn't survive the second firing. We went first to Bertram and have 8 plus firings on those cases. Then adg released 6.5 saum and some of those cases have 10 firings on them. I have also run alpha brass in my Creedmoor. Their brass is very good also.

I use Hornady brass, don't expect a whole lot out of it, however finding 35 Whelen and .358 Winchester brass is not an easy task to do. I started making .270 Ackley Improved brass, started out with Hornady because I wanted to learn fireforming and didn't want to spend a lot of money learning how to do it. Presently I anneal everything that I reload for, remove the expander and use a Sinclair mandrel die for neck tension. With this process I have had good results using Hornady brass. If I push the envelope with the loads the primer pockets will not last very long; three to four loadings. However for hunting I always use new brass or once-fired brass in the Whelen and the .358 Winchester, and the following season I use the new stuff to work loads and to practice with. I would certainly suggest annealing your brass, right at the get-go, then use a Sinclair mandrel die to help with the necks splitting.

I know this has been said before but , why does it have to be like this? So I fire sized 100 Hornady 6.5 creedmoor cases while breaking in my new rifle. Loaded 50 in 25 case batches doing final break in and load development last summer. Loaded the other 50 with my best load and never fired a shot during hunting season. Went out today, 30 degrees , and started shooting . I put 10 rounds down the tube and half the cases had split necks. Any one else have an issue with necks splitting in the cold but not when it's warmer? Should I be looking at a better quality brass? 2 shots per case isn't gonna be any cheaper than 5 plus from Lapua or adg . Thoughts?
Have had nothing but BAD RESULTS with Hornady Brass- I stick to Nosler, Lapua.