Another Fatal Grizzly Attack

British Columbia outlawed Grizzly hunting as a result of pressure by anti-hunting groups. Politics is a strange puzzle until you learn to understand it's all about votes and getting re-elected. Grizzly bears are difficult to count because of their migration patterns and when one side of an argument says there are only 5000 bears left, while the official count is 15000, it's virtually impossible to verify either figure. Government biologists felt pretty secure about their estimate because grizzly hunting in BC had been on a lottery draw for many years where all kills had to be reported - and the permits issued were based on the official numbers. Any significant drop in kills would have been noticeable. This is the science of it. Unfortunately science is only a factor to politicians when it suits them. The anti-hunting groups ran television commercials showing grizzly sows playing with their cute little cubs in high alpine meadows while voicing their arguments for stopping the hunt. They told of how "trophy" hunters are endangering the existence of these wonderful creatures. They left out that for many years it had been illegal to kill cubs, or any adult bear in the company of cubs. They also left out that it's likely more of these cubs were killed by predators, particularly large male bears, then hunters every year.

Maybe it is time for ranchers and sportsman to use a page from PITA book. Get visual documentation of slaughtered sheep, cows, dogs, Etc. Use some of the hunter captured footage of wolves killing adult moose by pulling their guts through their buttholes. Make a commercial putting the power and damage and cruelty on these predators. Finish it with a solution that makes money through licences and tourism, saves money from livestock losses, protects the community. Show hunters and ranchers as a responsible solution that is both economically and culturally advantageous. I'll donate cash for production and TV time.

Here in Montana there was a group and I don't remember if PETA or SIERRA that paid for farmers and ranchers plus home owners loss of cattle,sheep,chickens,pets and all live stock by bears and wolves if it could be proven.They ran out of money very early in the program and now it's farmers and ranchers and home owners loss and can not get money for losses.
If you say something bad about a person he or she can sue you for damages and receive money.Saying something that can lead to loss should be something you could sue for damages.
If a farmer,rancher or home owner sue the pants off these folks changes would be made I think.
Am I wrong?

Old rooster govenments in Canada love throwing away money and would help the do gooders out. Canada has become so politicaly correct it is sickening. Hunters here areat the bottom of the food chain and all animals are at the top. We are a sad country now there is only one Pride that matters.

Here in Montana there was a group and I don't remember if PETA or SIERRA that paid for farmers and ranchers plus home owners loss of cattle,sheep,chickens,pets and all live stock by bears and wolves if it could be proven.They ran out of money very early in the program and now it's farmers and ranchers and home owners loss and can not get money for losses.
If you say something bad about a person he or she can sue you for damages and receive money.Saying something that can lead to loss should be something you could sue for damages.
If a farmer,rancher or home owner sue the pants off these folks changes would be made I think.
Am I wrong?
Maybe the victims family should consider this that Alberta has failed to manage a dangerous animal to protect the citizens of Alberta? Even if they lost, the public outcry may be different when the details come out?

I for one want this species of the Great Brown Bear to be around for future generations to be able hunt. That's it and nothing more. Not for the bears and not against them, just don't want them to disappear.
Maybe I can be classified as a HUNTER CONSERVATIONILIST.

Most of the guys on this forum are in the category of "HUNTER CONSERVATIONILIST".

If evolution is true the bears and wolves lost in the lower forty-eight.
If creation is true the bears and wolves lost in the lower forty-eight.

I would prefer it stayed that way.

We hunt because we are hunters. It is not so much what we do as what we are. We are allowed to hunt because we are necessary for game management. If we didn't hunt, the government would have to hire professionals to kill the excess animals. We introduced domestic animals to the equation and predators found them easier to kill so we controlled predators. By controlling predators we created excess animals in the wild who would overgraze their food supply and face mass starvation. It's considerably more complex than that but that's the basic version. We are part of a process and it works if everyone follows the science.

We hunt because we are hunters. It is not so much what we do as what we are. We are allowed to hunt because we are necessary for game management. If we didn't hunt, the government would have to hire professionals to kill the excess animals. We introduced domestic animals to the equation and predators found them easier to kill so we controlled predators. By controlling predators we created excess animals in the wild who would overgraze their food supply and face mass starvation. It's considerably more complex than that but that's the basic version. We are part of a process and it works if everyone follows the science.
You had me right up until "follows the science".

This is and always will be a horrible tragedy no matter where it occurs. I am not at all trivializing this terrible event but what is missing here is the understanding of living in the "country" comes with certain normal precautions. I am ONLY talking about this and not when wildlife wanders into more densely populated areas. If you live in bear country or even lion territory, know it and we need to be situationally aware at all times. I know this is not popular but if you live where predatory animals live then you need to behave in kind. Even if there is a hunting season, you STILL LIVE in predator country and need to take normal precautions.

There was a quote that wildlife is getting accustomed to humans? Maybe it is humans getting accustomed to wildlife thus dropping normal predator alert and defensive measures as result?

We know she was walking trails on her property so this suggests she lived in the country to some extent. We don't know if she was on a wildlife viewing walk where she might have been deliberately was quiet or was she wearing noise makers to alert bears etc of her presence to allow them to leave the area. Even then, an older predator may still attack due to easy meal concept. This is where defensive measures can be taken even if unsuccessful at least there is a chance for survival. Canada needs to rethink the personal protection firearm concepts for being in bear country.

I live in MI and don't have large predators to be concerned about BUT I do not ALLOW my granddaughters to play in the back wooded edge areas of our property unattended due to high coyote population. They are 5 and 3 and like to run free in our yard but you still need to know where you live and be thoughtful of what might be lurking as a danger. And don't give me crap about coyotes, plenty of documented cases of them attacking children.

Will a hunting season reduce the bear population, yes, but there will still be bears where she lives so how would a hunting season change that at all?

Alberta does have a good Bear Smart website as well that speaks to this very issue. LINK: Alberta Bear Smart Site
Here is their brochure.

Does this matter to the victims family? Probably not one iota but there is a reality living where there are predators and no matter of the population level, you still have to be fully aware and FULLY PREPARED at all times.
Not sure where your from in Michigan but the predators we have that most humans need to worry about are two legged type that wear cloths. They blend in and 99.9% of the time don't even know they are a threat till the attack occurs. IMO, these predators need managing waaaaay more than the Big Brown furry ones do !!! Just my two pennies. No license required.