Another Fatal Grizzly Attack

Stupid is as stupid does. Darwin had a theory on this. It is like when a game animal stops and looks at you 50 yds away during the hunting season. In a combat zone they are referred to as "short timers". You can't fix stupid sorry. Not the bears fault.

Well, it is Canada. I don't know much about their gun laws. If people were carrying some kind of defense weapon, they could at least defend themselves. I know not everyone is comfortable carrying a handgun but I am confident there are things that can be done to educate people on how to protect themselves from bears.
I agree, she should have brought along a rifle for defence against a possible attack.
People let their guard down and forget to be vigilant.

It is easy to blame someone "for the attack" but we will never know the circumstances in which it occurred. My point is when you live in predator country you cannot ignore that fact and one slip up can be fatal. Self aware and self defense has to be on your radar 100% of time. Easy to say but hard to do when it is where you live. My cousin lives in AK and has a 375 by his front door and one by his back door and it is not for salesmen. I think?

I hope none of her family members are on here. People make mistakes/ poor decisions all the time. It could be from loss of concentration or lack of knowledge. "Short timers" refers to ones who are getting near the end of their time in service.

Down under we have lots of things that want to kill us from spiders,snakes,sharks,Crocodiles,pigs, dogs mosquitoes, but still we don't feel it necessary to go on a kill frenzy,But yes we do have times when we reduce numbers of Ferrel animals and as I have been involved in that side of it it pains me to think we are just killing bears because they are there

The big bears have no natural prey animals except humans. They are first on the "chain", as are we. When misguided "tree huggers" take us hunters out of the equation and bear numbers are allowed to increase beyond habitat holding capacity more incidents like this happen. The lady could have been armed to the teeth, but likely the outcome would have been the same. I'm not blaming the bears. It is we who increase our numbers exponentially. It is we who have encroached and pushed them back into what is left of the wilds. Because of that they have to be managed. It's the only way we can co-exist.

I am from Alberta and what happened in this province was a case of government listening to bunny huggers. Our grizzly population was stable and sustainable. The do gooders lobbied the government and the government caved. there was no reasoning except to please the few. Now the people of Albeta are paying for those mistakes with human lives.

I am from Alberta and what happened in this province was a case of government listening to bunny huggers. Our grizzly population was stable and sustainable. The do gooders lobbied the government and the government caved. there was no reasoning except to please the few. Now the people of Albeta are paying for those mistakes with human lives.
BC I think is doing the same thing also people that do not live and work in the woods around but live in big citys are doing this but it is the rancher forester loger and oild works that are getting the chomp put on them

Solution is pretty simple. Allow a grizzly bear hunting season. The bears that have been reared, and hang around, where people live are removed at an accelerated rate.
Brown bear season where I live, on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula, was closed for 20-some years. Because Federal officials thought there were too few brown bear. Bear/human conflicts increased a LOT, compared to prior years when there were yearly bear hunts. DLP killing of bear in folks' back yards became more common.
When bear season was again reopened, a lot of brown bears were killed the first several years. And some BIG ones. B&C bears were being killed. Human bear conflicts and DLP killings became much less common. Problem was largely solved. We're back to the olden days when there was an annual hunting season, because there's been an annual hunting season now for ~8yrs. The bear hunting season is much longer now, too. Turns out we had an abundance of brown bears. DNA analysis of bear hair samples collected over a number of years proved the Feds estimate of the bear population was wrong. Brown bears may be hunted year round. Haven't had brown bear in my backyard since the first year bear hunting was re-opened.

Last edited:

Recent Posts