Another Fatal Grizzly Attack

when they lose there fear of man and the scent of man they become dangerous just like Mt.Lions in states where they are not hunted we get grizz moving through our yard every summer most lately at night but they just pass through most people do not even know they come through there yards we use game cams. 3 days ago we had a 3year old pass through town at 7 in te evening right down the main drag and he did not stop till he was out of town

Attachments

• 194975653_776447569725564_7356614482716701138_n.jpg
    194975653_776447569725564_7356614482716701138_n.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 212
Sounds like it time to cull the herd…

Posted on the MeatEater site:

On May 25, a 68-year-old woman was killed by a grizzly bear near Water Valley, Alberta. "The individual had gone for a walk on their property and was found deceased on one of their trails," Alberta Fish and Wildlife said in a written statement. The individual's name was not released.

Despite finding her body partially buried, which initially led officials to believe the attack was predatory, they concluded that the woman's death was the result of a defensive bear attack.

Wildlife officials captured two female grizzlies five days after the attack. DNA evidence revealedthat one mature, post-prime sow with extremely worn teeth was the bear responsible for the woman's death. They euthanized the bear in accordance with Alberta's bear response guide. AFW released the other female and removed traps from the area.

This incident occurred about 15 miles away from where David Lertzman was fatally attacked three weeks prior. However, DNA confirmed that neither of the bears trapped were involved in the attack on Lertzman.

In addition to these recent fatal attacks, a woman was charged by a grizzly and thrown from her horse on May 22 west of Pincher Creek, Alberta. She unknowingly rode between a female and her yearling cub which caused the sow to charge. Fortunately, neither the woman nor her horse were seriously injured.

Recent research suggests that grizzly numbers in the province are growing. A survey released in March reported that there were 88 grizzlies living in the 4,530 square miles between the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 11. That population has doubled in the last 15 years.

Due to this increase in bear prevalence, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement urges residents to observe bear safety rules and guidelines. While there are undeniably more bears in the area, Kim Titchner, a wildlife conflict consultant, said there's another factor to blame for the recent upswing in bear attacks.

"There's more of us going into the outdoors because of COVID," she said. "Every weekend the mountains are just crazy slammed. It's inevitable we're going to see more bear attacks on the landscape."

MeatEater sends condolences to the friends and families affected by these events.
With all due respect, Bozeman Montana (United States) is also notorious for grizzly attacks.

I live within one hour of both fatal grizzly attacks and one year ago a biologist found tracks in our subdivision of a grizzly. The area is abundant with wildlife. One day on my deck, in the open prairie, I counted over 65 mule deer and Cougars frequent the area. Predators sense of smell will attract them to this abundant food source. If the deer herd were reduced I believe it would help the amount of predators . Whitetail tags are over the counter but mule deer are by draw and hard to get . I think the solution is obvious, but wiser people than I need to take a look at all the options for a cure to the problem.

Well, it is Canada. I don't know much about their gun laws. If people were carrying some kind of defense weapon, they could at least defend themselves. I know not everyone is comfortable carrying a handgun but I am confident there are things that can be done to educate people on how to protect themselves from bears.

Our gun laws are idiotic but untrained people with guns in a life or death situation with a grizzly would probably be a solution with a high percentage of failure. Pepper spray would not be my favourite way of protecting myself against a grizzly, that is what my 338 is better suited for. Wildlife management through regulated hunting would be a good start.

That's nature. Bears got to eat too.
The reductio of this argument is that we shouldn't take antibiotics because bacteria gotta eat too. And no, reducing numbers of grizzly bears through hunting doesn't mean "humans are next". You're perhaps thinking about resource degradation which is an entirely different situation. Resources were fine when wolves and grizzlies were eradicated the first time.

I think we need more bears and wolves; just capture the ones we have and release them in San Francisco, Denver, NYC, Austin...surely those weed-addled folks will be easier to catch than an elk calf ;). Just kidding, if the wink isn't enough for the easily triggered.

Last edited:
I'll take a potentially unpopular perspective.

Sounds like it time to cull the herd…
Seems to me, the bear was doing that. We encroached, bears were minding their own business, sow did her job.
Nature doesn't care, and with increased pressure, the chips sometimes do not fall in man's favor.
Perhaps the RCMP didn't give proper notification. Perhaps the person did not properly prepare herself. Perhaps she died of natural causes, and the bear chanced upon it.

People's lives are more valuable than this.
I have seen too much depravity and can no longer agree with this. When I was a young pup in the 70's and 80's, an old man I worked with used to quip, "time to fire up the wood chipper". I was shocked by his cold heartedness at the time, and have now come to appreciate his perspective.

I think we need more bears and wolves; just capture the ones we have and release them in San Francisco, Denver, NYC, Austin...surely those weed-addled folks will be easier to catch than an elk calf
I believe a 'B' movie has already been made about this. The real thing would be much more entertaining.
Instead of the feds in riot gear last summer, it would have been something to watch if a few grizzly had wandered into the BLM crowds in Portland.

First of all some of you may be missing my point and view. I have nothing against hunting Brown Bear. I have had Brown on my bucket list forever. I specifically bought a 325WSM to do a Brown Hunt. That was almost 20 Years ago and the cost for the Bear was $10K. I can't even imagine how much it would cost now. You have to be a wealthy person for this type of hunt. WHY is it so expensive? Because in a lot of areas there are not that many browns left. I would love to be able to go on a real "Hunt Stock" for a Brown Bear and be able to harvest one. The supply these animals and demand to hunt has pushed it so that only the very few can hunt Browns. It has almost gone back to the time in Europe when only Royalty could hunt.

When you have wildlife accustom to humans and no fear there a problem. It is one thing to drive through Yellow Stone in a vehicle and see a bear,, but all together different when a bear is walking down main street or ripping your house apart for food.

Ranchers have been having livestock killed by bears and cougars ever since the beginning of time when man moved into the wildlife areas. Ranchers dealt with it. However over hunting and over conversation has caused a lot if issues. There is either not enough bears in an area or too many. I wish there could be a balance, but when you have idiots making the laws and being voted in by id**ts PITA There is no more balance.
Then when there is an incident between livestock or sorry to any humans the first reaction is to get rid of the bears!!

"Recent research suggests that grizzly numbers in the province are growing. A survey released in March reported that there were 88 grizzlies living in the 4,530 square miles between the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 11. That population has doubled in the last 15 years"
That is close to the size of the state of Connecticut for 88 bears living in bear country. Then you have to look at the male-female ratio.

After the musk ox, the grizzly has the second slowest reproduction rate of all North American mammals, making it harder for it to rebound from threats to its survival.

Females do not reach breeding maturity until they are 4 to 9 years old and generally give birth to two cubs every 3 years. On occasion, one or three cubs may be born to a female, but two is the more common number.

As with other bears, if the mother has not accumulated enough fat to sustain herself as well as developing cubs, the embryos may not implant.

In January, usually one to three cubs, each weighing only a pound or less, are born. The cubs gain weight quickly and by the time they come out of the den, they often have reached 20 pounds. As many as half of all cubs may not reaching breeding age - a leading reason for the grizzly's low numbers.

Cubs remain dependent upon their mother's milk for almost a year, stay with their mother for 2 to 3 years, and reach breeding maturity at about five years. In some cases they may not breed until 8 or 9 years of age. When they do reach breeding age, females only breed every 3 or more years. Males compete with each other for breeding opportunities and seek females each year. Grizzlies should live to be 15 to 20 years of age, and a few survive for up to 30 years.

Of course, with expanding human populations and diminishing secure habitat, a bear's life span continues to be limited below what one should biologically expect from the species.

I for one want this species of the Great Brown Bear to be around for future generations to be able hunt. That's it and nothing more. Not for the bears and not against them, just don't want them to disappear.
Maybe I can be classified as a HUNTER CONSERVATIONILIST.

Last edited:
This is and always will be a horrible tragedy no matter where it occurs. I am not at all trivializing this terrible event but what is missing here is the understanding of living in the "country" comes with certain normal precautions. I am ONLY talking about this and not when wildlife wanders into more densely populated areas. If you live in bear country or even lion territory, know it and we need to be situationally aware at all times. I know this is not popular but if you live where predatory animals live then you need to behave in kind. Even if there is a hunting season, you STILL LIVE in predator country and need to take normal precautions.

There was a quote that wildlife is getting accustomed to humans? Maybe it is humans getting accustomed to wildlife thus dropping normal predator alert and defensive measures as result?

We know she was walking trails on her property so this suggests she lived in the country to some extent. We don't know if she was on a wildlife viewing walk where she might have been deliberately was quiet or was she wearing noise makers to alert bears etc of her presence to allow them to leave the area. Even then, an older predator may still attack due to easy meal concept. This is where defensive measures can be taken even if unsuccessful at least there is a chance for survival. Canada needs to rethink the personal protection firearm concepts for being in bear country.

I live in MI and don't have large predators to be concerned about BUT I do not ALLOW my granddaughters to play in the back wooded edge areas of our property unattended due to high coyote population. They are 5 and 3 and like to run free in our yard but you still need to know where you live and be thoughtful of what might be lurking as a danger. And don't give me crap about coyotes, plenty of documented cases of them attacking children.

Will a hunting season reduce the bear population, yes, but there will still be bears where she lives so how would a hunting season change that at all?

Alberta does have a good Bear Smart website as well that speaks to this very issue. LINK: Alberta Bear Smart Site
Here is their brochure.

Does this matter to the victims family? Probably not one iota but there is a reality living where there are predators and no matter of the population level, you still have to be fully aware and FULLY PREPARED at all times.

Attachments

• bearsmart-bear-safety-booklet-2019.pdf
    10.5 MB · Views: 104
This is and always will be a horrible tragedy no matter where it occurs. I am not at all trivializing this terrible event but what is missing here is the understanding of living in the "country" comes with certain normal precautions. I am ONLY talking about this and not when wildlife wanders into more densely populated areas. If you live in bear country or even lion territory, know it and we need to be situationally aware at all times. I know this is not popular but if you live where predatory animals live then you need to behave in kind. Even if there is a hunting season, you STILL LIVE in predator country and need to take normal precautions.

There was a quote that wildlife is getting accustomed to humans? Maybe it is humans getting accustomed to wildlife thus dropping normal predator alert and defensive measures as result?

We know she was walking trails on her property so this suggests she lived in the country to some extent. We don't know if she was on a wildlife viewing walk where she might have been deliberately was quiet or was she wearing noise makers to alert bears etc of her presence to allow them to leave the area. Even then, an older predator may still attack due to easy meal concept. This is where defensive measures can be taken even if unsuccessful at least there is a chance for survival. Canada needs to rethink the personal protection firearm concepts for being in bear country.

I live in MI and don't have large predators to be concerned about BUT I do not ALLOW my granddaughters to play in the back wooded edge areas of our property unattended due to high coyote population. They are 5 and 3 and like to run free in our yard but you still need to know where you live and be thoughtful of what might be lurking as a danger. And don't give me crap about coyotes, plenty of documented cases of them attacking children.

Will a hunting season reduce the bear population, yes, but there will still be bears where she lives so how would a hunting season change that at all?

Alberta does have a good Bear Smart website as well that speaks to this very issue. LINK: Alberta Bear Smart Site
Here is their brochure.

Does this matter to the victims family? Probably not one iota but there is a reality living where there are predators and no matter of the population level, you still have to be fully aware and FULLY PREPARED at all times.
yes very good, we hunt grizz the season is only closed about 45 days a year and we have someone dune in just about every year and more ripped up by grizz but in most cases it is out of staters or locs just not keeping there eyes open and doing what they should do in grizz country