Another Extractor question?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kc, Jan 14, 2011.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Is it hard to replace a Extractor in the field, if you have one in Camp?
    If my Remington extractor fails and I have a new one, made for the Remington, is it hard to do?

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If it is the riveted type, Your Done!!!

The new ones might be possible but not likely.

Carry a spare rifle and /or keep the bolt face clean.

I have never had a failure with the Remington extractor and as long as your not over loading,not
    cleaning the chamber and not cleaning the bolt face you should not have a failure.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. cva54

cva54 Well-Known Member

If it were me I would have a single shot for the rest of the trip. Worry about it when I can get it to a smith on a 700 that is. one shot one kill. That is if the extractor is the only prob.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

With a bad extractor you'd only have a one shot. The round would be stuck in the chamber.

Good thing the factory extractors are very reliable.

5. cva54

cva54 Well-Known Member

ramrod muzzloaders did it for years. We are in the woods right there got to be a stick or branch some were. Rember this is a save my trip thing or just sit in camp. I know what I would do.

6. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

I would hate to have to change a Remington extractor in the field. If it's riveted, you would have to drill out the old rivet first, then find something to use as an anvil to set the new rivet. It's an easy job in the shop, but not easy in the field.

My advice is to carry a cleaning rod that will go in the bore of your rifle. One piece would be best, but jointed would probably knock a fired case out O.K. Shouldn't take much at all to pop it loose.

Tom

7. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

The antenna from a Ford pickup makes an excellent ram rod in a pinch. I know this first hand.

8. Long*range*Lapua

Long*range*Lapua Member

If you have a have one of the newer remington actions then you likely have a snap in extractor that can easily be changed back at camp. some small needle nose pliars, a small flat blade screwdriver and a q-tip to clean out bolt before new extractor is put into place. I know this first hand....just changed one out about 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps