Another dummy question.

Kentucky

Bought that zeiss Comquest that I like a lot. Zero at 100, set turret at 100, everything is great. Set a target @ 250 yards amd turned the turret to 250 and hit 6 in low. I have never had a scope of this caliber before and was very disappointed. I called zeiss amd was told that the turret that came on the scope is a target turret NOT a BDC. Now that I have confessed my ignorance here is the question. If the target turret has the numbers on the turret, what is the difference between a target turret and a BDC turret?

It's not a "dummy" question. The only "dummys" are the ones who don't askk questions.
Are you certain the ballistic data you provided to the BDC turret maker was absolutely correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the short answer is the target turret has numbers on it, but that is for sighting in the scope, making click adjustments 1/4 inch at a time (at 100 yards) to zero the scope. I don't think they are designed to compensate for bullet drop at different ranges. The BDC turret has numbers on it that relate to the distance to the target, which you adjust to the known distance to the target, and then aim at the target without holding over (holding high). You have to sight in the scope first at 100 yards, then you have the "zero". When you determine the distance to the target, you then adjust the turret to the correct reference # or the distance, then hold "dead on".

Can you post a picture of the turrets and/or the end of the box with the label on it? What reticle is in your scope? Is it the Plex, or does it have several lines in it?
What cartridge are you shooting? What velocity out of your rifle (not book velocity, but out of your actual rifle).

Bullet weight and type (ballistic coefficient)
Velocity
Temperature
Altitude

The above variables all can affect the point of impact, so buying one scope with one turret cannot be used for every cartridge.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this Forum (I don't pretend to be one of them), and they can help you, but I am not sure you have supplied enough info for an accurate answer.

Thanks for the input. After scratching myself almost bald I think I figured out the whole thing. I have found a website that makes custom BDC turrets for the Conquest. You're right, I will have to supply the info that you mentioned. Thanks again.

You can get custom turrets for your scope from Kenton or you can learn to use your target turrets. The target turrets require more thinking but the BDC turrets are only as good as the data you give the maker which will probably require you to use the same bullet same powder charge etc. Where as your target turret can accommodate all types of ammo.

At this point I presume you set your turret 2.5 and thought that was 250 yards when in actuality it was 2.5moa above your 100 yard zero. If your drop between 100 yards and 250yards is 12" you would actually need to set your turret at 5.0 depending on the ballistics of your firearm.

Does that scenario sound about right?

I recommend learning your drops and writing them on a cheat sheet on the stock of your firearm. In any case you would need to shoot your Custom turret at all ranges to verify accuracy.

Good luck and Shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.