Another dumb question.

4xforfun

I just picked up a used EDGE from the classifieds here on LRH. Haven't even got it yet. Gun comes with a 55 MOA picatinny rail on it. Got a great deal on a new Nightforce NX-8 (90ish MOA of ELE adjustment)..... but probably not going to make a 100 yard ZERO with the 55 MOA base. Now, we need to buy rings anyway.....and I was thinking (whoops) that if Burris made those missallined rings with the plastic insert...and we ran it BACKWARDS.......well....you know where I am going with this.

Do they make a picatinny version of those rings?

Would that setup work? Just thinking if he ever wants to do some EEEEELR shooting he could simply put the rings on the right way and have 75 MOA to start.

Just trying to avoid buying another Base with less MOA.

What say you,

Tod

You signed it Tod, but is your nickname Bubba?
Get the lowest rings possible. NF has enough vertical adjustment that you can zero at 100 - though, with a 338 Edge, don't know why you would want to zero at 100.

You signed it Tod, but is your nickname Bubba?
Get the lowest rings possible. NF has enough vertical adjustment that you can zero at 100 - though, with a 338 Edge, don't know why you would want to zero at 100.
Did you not read the part about the 55 MOA base? If everything worked as it should, With 90 MOA total I will be at least 10 MOA high at 100 with the scope bottomed out.. On top of that I would be at the extreme limit of the scopes travel.

Yes. @FEENIX is spot on.
Don't Bubba it, get the right rail.
Didnt think the NF was only +/- 40 MOA.
In addition, zeroing an Edge at 100 is like putting a governor on a LT2.

yes , Burris makes the signature rings for a picatinny rail . I have these rings on two rifles , but neither one is a hard kicker , or braked , so I can't say how well they hold under these conditions . neither is the picatinny style . I bought a set for on a pic rail , but I didn't like the way they fit the rail . yes , you can use these rings to either add or subtract elevation . my one rifle I used these on was for windage correction . not all set ups use exactly half of the scope elevation to get to your zero . so the scope could zero with a regular set of rings , or might not . the Burris rings are probably the most cost effective way of seeing what you need . I like to keep about 5 moa under the zero stop to try and be sure of always being able to zero . I do like a 100 yard zero for my turret twisting rifles . I think you can get zero inserts and 010 inserts in these rings for a 30 mm scope . there are more for the 1" scopes . if you're going to play at longer ranges you'll want all the elevation you can get .

Yes. @FEENIX is spot on.
Don't Bubba it, get the right rail.
Didnt think the NF was only +/- 40 MOA.
In addition, zeroing an Edge at 100 is like putting a governor on a LT2.
I get it...I have 2 EDGEs myself and soon a third, and do all of the load development, tuning, maintenance , and PLAYING with 1 other.....not to mention a couple of 338 LAPUA's and a 338/378 WBY. All with a 100 yard zero. These are ALL hunting guns. I don't know anyone who goes afield with a 1000 yard zero. Wait......I kinda do....600 yards. He says he doesn't have to hold over or under till 700ish. LOLOL The deer are safe near him!!

Yep...I like to stay 10(ish) MOA off of the "bottom" of the travel.
"My" personal preference is 20 MOA and 200Y zero even when I have plenty of internal adjustment with my scope. Most of my hunting shots are <1K yards.

20 MOA.jpg

I understand your desire. While you can likely get the 100 yard zero with the signature rings, you will be very close to the lower end of your range, plus whatever you gain on the bottom, you loose on the top end. Rails aren't that expensive and you can keep the 55 MOA rail to pass along to the next owner if you choose to sell.

just my opinion ; I'd shoot it before I changed the rail . that 55 moa rail could be on there for a unseen reason . in a perfect world that rail would gain you 55 moa , but nothings perfect .

here is my story . 8-32 NSX scope has 65 moa elevation . I have a 40 moa rail . I have 58 moa usable elevation . I have a 100 yard zero . this is on a TAC 338 action . this is a stiller rail .

I shot it with a stiller 20 moa rail , I forget exactly what I had for usable elevation on the turret . looking at the numbers , it took a 20 moa rail to about center the scope .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.