Another Build in a .260...Questions

41mag

Ok right off the bat I understand this has been diminished to almost non existent status. Even so I have a ton of stuff sitting on the shelf in .264 that I would prefer to shoot rather than go through the hassle to sell.

I have a Rem 7 as a donor rifle and I have Broughton 1-8 5c barrel which can be as long as 26" should I choose. I have plenty of brass in both 308, and 243 to get me started as well as 200 new Lapua in .260 to work with as well. Powders, primers, and not looking to make it into something awesome and fancy, just a nice shooting rifle in a different caliber that I can run loads through that our older 96 Mauser isn't designed for.

So my questions are more along the lines of load and bullets used by some of you who have build and/or shoot this caliber.

What have you found that they seem to like the best powder wise?

Has there been a certain bullet or brand that has shot better overall our of them?

What has been the upper end most have worked towards regarding velocity with 140gr range bullets, and with what barrel and length.

My bottom line isn't to build this to stretch out across my back pasture, I have several which do that just fine. My idea is to have something that is accurate enough for a 400yd shot on a deer with a bullet constructed to expand and reliably put him down. Of course I prefer 1/2 - 3/4" groups at 200 and 300yds but most of that will be on me and not the rifle. I'm sure I can handle it once I get some loads working but nothing is a given at this point. It's all sitting in the corner right now waiting on me to get it to my smith.

I plan on having the action squared and bolt lapped and thats about it. Have him bed the action in the nice wooden stock I picked up for it, and away we go.

I would appreciate any little tid bits or nuances you have found that might help me along. This will hopefully be given to my wife for her birthday come late April or for her anniversary in July. She don't give a rats rear about what caliber it is as long as when she pulls the trigger it don't kick snot out of her nose or cause her to miss where she is aiming due to recoil.

Should I realistically be able to get mid 2800's out of this using 140gr bullets without pushing things overly hard? I know there is the AI version but I would rather stick to plain stuff right ow and possibly go there later. The barrel has enough shank to rechamber should I want or need to after trying this first.

Anyway please stick to the 260 and not why not this or that. I know its hard since it is such a bland caliber, but it is what it is and what I already have a bunch of stuff for. And she will enjoy shooting it as well and that is the real point of the build.

Thanks and I appreciate your input on this.

The only 260 Rem. I have ever worked with was one my buddy got when Remington first made them in the 700. It was a Stainless Synthetic and had a 24" barrel. All we did was free float the barrel. We had to make our own cases and found that 243 Win cases made a perfect case by just running them through the 260 Rem FL size die. There was no load data out yet for this caliber so we started out with staring loads for the 6.5x55 Swede and worked up with H4350 and 120 and 140 gr Sierra hunting bullets. That rifle was a tack driver with both bullets and we were doing crop damage control on a big farm in east NC and we killed 53 deer with the rifle that year. We shot both bullets and found that there was not more than 1.5 inch difference in the elevation of point of impact from muzzle out to 300 yards between the loads. We did not have a chrno at the time but now that I look at the load data that is out I would say that the 120 was doing 3000 fps and the 140 at least 2800 fps. We were using a bit more H4350 than what is considered max from the load data these days but it showed no pressure signs in this rifle. What is astronomical is that out of the 53 deer we shot with this rifle, most were between 100 and 250 yards but some were out to right at 500 yards, only one took a step after being hit and it took three jumps and dropped. We shoot them in the shoulder. I wanted that rifle and my buddy said IF he ever got rid of it I could have it. As it turned out he called and I did not have the money at the time and he sold it to another friend for his grandson. It has been quite a long time since then and the grandson is a grown man now and he is still killing deer every year with that rifle. I have a 6.5x55 Swede and a 264 Win mag so I don't need a 260 Rem these days. The 120 Nosler ballistic tip is my 6.5x55 deer bullet and the 130 Nosler Accubond is my 264 Win mag bullet. Both fill the bill perfectly for me. If I had to choose just one bullet for either I guess it would be the 130 Accubond.

If you make your barrel 26" and stay within listed powder data there are a number of powders that you probably can get close if not to 2800 fps with a 140 gr bullet. Unless the vast majority of your shots will be over 300 yards I would go with the 120 ballistic tip. It takes A LOT OF PRACTICE for shots over 300 yards for most people. Just some of my experiences, hope it helps.

For my .260 I use a Berger 140 gr VLD and H4350 powder. My barrel is 25.5" and I get 2750 fps out of my tack driving load.

Thanks for the current info.

I went with this caliber since I already had above it, and below it, pretty well covered. I also realize it isn't the hottest or most popular thing going, but hey, neither is a 41mag or 10mm, or even my .270 AM, but I love them too.

I had always liked the results we got from the daughters 6.5x55 even though we never really got any of the loads up over around 2600fps. I used the Hornady 140gr A-Max when it came out, to work up loads for it, and really never used anything else.

It did everything we ever asked, and did it so well, there was really no reason to look further. I realize that many do not consider that particular bullet to be used for hunting, but at the sudo mundane velocities we used it at, they reached out as far as I asked them to, and delivered a heavy blow to many a feral hog for a good year and a half before I ever cut her loose on the deer. After that trial by fire so to speak I had no issues with penetration nor effectiveness of that combo. Even at ranges out past 300yds they blew right through both shoulders on numerous hogs. After I was done and satisfied with their performance, she used them on several of her first really nice bucks.

This one however I will be driving a bit faster and looking to exploit the excellent bullets in the 140gr range. I hadn't considered going lighter but now after looking around at whats out there, I will give it considerable more thought. I will however be working with an abundance of 140gr bullets I already have. Some may never be put to task on deer, but I will put them to use on the hogs. IF they prove as accurate in this rifle as in the 6.5, I have no reason not to slip one just under the earhole of a nice fat hog given the chance. I managed to pick up on a great deal on !K factory seconds from Midway in a 140gr Match HP. I don't have a clue as to how they will shoot but figured worst case they will make great target fodder for the wife to burn up and will be cheap in doing so. I also realize that reaching out across the wide open is by and far a learned skill. and we have plenty of area to set up and do so on. Our back pasture is easily able to handle 3-600yd shooting so it will give us a bit more time to spend together doing something we both enjoy.

I'm going to let the smith cut the barrel to length and leave it as long as possible. I should easily be able to get a 26" out of the blank but for a short'ish rifle I might end up getting it cut back after things are finished up and I see how she balances. I will be using mostly the factory stock initially until I can squirrel away for something good like a Manners or similar. Even then though I will mainly be looking at sporter weight and something easily handled by my wife and/or grandsons.

Thanks again for the in-site and if anyone else has anything else to offer please feel free to post it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.