Another brass question. Norma vs Peterson

If you can get stuff like Peterson, ADG, Alpha, etc in any give chambering I don't see a reason to NOT get it. The consistency and quality of those top-tier brands in undeniable. It's like the foundation of a house, why would you get something lesser if you can get better for a couple more dollars up front?

Peterson ships in plastic ammo boxes (at least the single packs do, I think bulk lots are different) and I do appreciate the lower rate of shoulder and neck dings that comes with that. Lapua ships bulk though, so I'm used to running a mandrel through the necks the first time. Don't think it matters one way or the other, but I appreciate that kind of attention to detail.

That said cheaper brass can be very functional, especially if you put some TLC into it. So there's no reason to not get the Norma loaded ammo if that's useful to you. I use Norma brass in 243 WIN, 338LM and 6.5CM. Maybe it is softer in the head, but I haven't pushed them hard enough to lose a primer pocket yet.

The vast majority of my 30-06 brass is one-fired from factory loaded ammo, and honestly in my 30-06s it works pretty near just as good on the second and third firing as the brand new top quality stuff does on the first first. Yes the paths do diverge at that point, but for those rifles I'm not going to burn up 150 loads to 3x fire the cases, stabilize and bump them, sort them volumetrically, etc, to get the benefits of fancy brass because I don't use those rifles for the distances where any of that matters. If you aren't going to benefit from what Peterson offers (longevity, consistency, etc) the cost won't be worth it to you in the long run.

That's good to hear, I thought someone posted something with the company saying they are not exporting to the US.

They are stopping bulk brass shipments (300WSM for sure). The 50 count boxes will be available.

Have found that Norma brass was / is a little soft a while back , switched to Lapua-Peterson-Nosler- again depending on the cartridges I need and can find at that time. Have also had good results with IMI & LC Match Brass in the 308 tactical, Wanting to try ADG & ALFA but were out of what I was after at that time.
Like to get mine off the lots of 300 the smallest and or up to 7-1000 rounds if LR / Target F-Class.. but that's just me.

Recent Posts