another BOW Lope hunt

ammohouse

I really think I'm done watching this show.
I like the long range aspect of hunting...but these guys are really starting to get to me.
Long range takes a beating about not being ethical..like all hunting.
The latest episode the shooter takes a 650yd shot on a lope.
The Lope was clearly skylined. I've been told since I was young that you NEVER shoot a animal thats standing on a hill!!!!!
I have passed on animals and had to put a better stalk on them just because I didn't want them skylined.
I have told my son this and we have had to reposition on a few animals because it wasn't the right thing to do.
I guess I'm too hard on these guys because they're trying to make a TV show.....but come on!
I would like to see a show that they had to pass and reposition just because it was the right thing to do.
Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby!!!!

i just went and watched it, all i can say is wow. It is really starting to **** me off because throughout this season i have seen at least 5 kills that the bullet spined the animal (thank God!) but it hit right in front of the rear hams.

i just went and watched it, all i can say is wow. It is really starting to **** me off because throughout this season i have seen at least 5 kills that the bullet spined the animal (thank God!) but it hit right in front of the rear hams.

Easy killer you're not old enough to be getting "****ed off".
I don't mind the bad shots or misses, hunt/shoot long enough and everybody makes them. I'm not stupid, don't try to pull the wool over my eyes and cover them up.
PM inbound.

I havent seen the show, I stopped watching most of them for that very reason.
I understand maknig the odd bad shot, it shouldnt be happening every second show though:rolleyes:. What was described to me that got my goat was the skyline shot. That can be some nasty stuff.

I just recently wached all three volumes of "send-it" from defensive edge. In the first one, there are several "goof ups", though non ever concering saftey. What I really liked about Shawns video was that he showed the mistakes in real time, and pointed out what had gone wrong. No "great shot" or "put him down in his tracks" when the shot was bad, what you saw was another round getting chambered and the fastest corrected follow up possible. Allowing veiwers to see mistakes made by extremly good shooters and how to correct those mistakes.

I am glad I am not the only one who notices these issues. There is a reason we all left the show at about the same time. The direction of the show was already headed in this direction. The only real shooter they have left is John. Did you see the elk episode last week? The first of the show started out with their host hunting some big bulls, then after "passing" on several you do not see any more of it. I believe it was the last bull he passes or claims he doesn't get a shot at, you can see if you slow motion it the bull is carrying his front leg a little. Looked like a hit to me. Then the terrible skyline shot this week. They have certainly come along way from the Burns days, I just think it was in the wrong direction.

I just watched an episode of long range pursuit on the DVR. Guy shoots a mule deer at 400 and some odd yards. Clearly skylined. Deer drops and you see sky through the hole in the trees he was standing in.

Not so shocking to hear about it happening. VERY shocking to see people video it and stick it on the tube for all to see.

We all have to decide how far it to far to be shooting Game Animals. I know with new rifles today & better BC bullets & Optics shots beyond 1000 yds the accuracy is there but, my issue is with bullet time of flight, you might be the best at reading the wind, but one never knows when that game animal is going to take another step & now it's a wounded animal. Now for shooting a sky lined animals is not only unsafe but if a Rancher saw you take that shot with his herd out there I bet you won't be invited back.
Just my 2 cents

I don't think too many are complaining about the distance. I know I'm not.

I'm complaining about shots on silhouetted animals.

In my opinion , There are many reasons "NOT" to take a shot and only one "TO" take the shot.(You
can make it without fear of a bad shot).

Everyone that has hunted very long has made a bad shot for one reason or the other. The real difference is how you deal with a bad shot then and later.

Some will say they missed and blow it off. I have tracked many "Missed" animals for people and to there surprise, found them. and in some cases the shooter gave up tracking after a short while and I continued anyway.

I did see a bear hunt where the hit was bad, but the hunter kept looking and was very upset with himself for wounding the bear and didn't want to give up. so there are some responsible hunters
still with us that try to do it right the first time.

I for one are not upset when I have to pas up a shot. I am happy that I got to see the game and
it was just his lucky day.

J E CUSTOM

In my opinion , There are many reasons "NOT" to take a shot and only one "TO" take the shot.(You
can make it without fear of a bad shot).

Everyone that has hunted very long has made a bad shot for one reason or the other. The real difference is how you deal with a bad shot then and later.

Some will say they missed and blow it off. I have tracked many "Missed" animals for people and to there surprise, found them. and in some cases the shooter gave up tracking after a short while and I continued anyway.

I did see a bear hunt where the hit was bad, but the hunter kept looking and was very upset with himself for wounding the bear and didn't want to give up. so there are some responsible hunters
still with us that try to do it right the first time.

I for one are not upset when I have to pas up a shot. I am happy that I got to see the game and
it was just his lucky day.

J E CUSTOM
+1 you and I have a very similar code of ethics. I've taken wounded animals on more than occasion when it was obvious that who ever shot it never bothered with following up, or ran down and stopped a wounded animal because the shooter just didn't have the ability to catch em. I've made mistakes/bad shots myself but when you do you have an obligation to stay on that critters @$$ until you either confirm that it was a clean miss or put it down.

Like J.E. said though a shot or not doesn't make or break a hunt, it's the experience. To my way of thinking when that bullet heads down range the real work begins.

Very much in agreement with JE, especially about passing a shot. I read way too much on the forums I frequent about the guys that want to shoot the biggest rompin' stompin' magnums available, so they can take crappy shots and still expect to kill the animal. I was taught to take only good kill shots and pass on the "texas heart shots". After several decades of hunting, guiding, outfitting, and taking scores of big game with guns big and small, I also advocate passing on questionable shots, and I don't care what the range or what you're shooting. Sometimes it seems so much emphasis has been placed on making the kill that some hunters abandon good judgement and think this great technology is going to make up for poor shot placement, lack of training, or just a poor decision to take a marginal shot.
I hate not getting the shot when I have worked hard for it, but I think it is important to maintain perspective and remember this is not life or death, for me as the hunter, but it is for the game, and I don't want to send anything off shot to pieces to die a slow death.
Long breath.... okay, I'm done. Back to the topic. I do not like seeing the bad shots on TV like this, and I don't think it is a good idea having guys that seem to be inexperienced to long range doing the shooting on some of the episodes. IMO, it requires a heightened sense of restraint and ethics to be a long range hunter because there are so many factors that can cause a shot to go bad.
If we don't govern ourselves well, someone, somewhere, will decide they need to do it for us.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.