Another boot selection thread

Well not everyone is as tough as you or were in the military.....I just hiked out 2 bull hind quarters from an elk on a pack frame and if it weren't for my lowa's my feet would have been hammered. Not to mention the other trips there and back for more meat. I stalked up on a herd of elk with in 25 yards with my big heavy boots on but to each their own.
Some people also just have let's say, anatomical differences. I have what's referred to as collapsed arches, in fact a "negative arch". The mechanics of it mean that I wear out the inner sole much quicker than the outer sole on all my footwear. It also means my calves have to work ALOT harder than other people's calves do while my quads don't get worked as much. I need a shoe that basically transforms my foot into what a foot should actually be instead of what I have 😂.

Well not everyone is as tough as you or were in the military.....I just hiked out 2 bull hind quarters from an elk on a pack frame and if it weren't for my lowa's my feet would have been hammered. Not to mention the other trips there and back for more meat. I stalked up on a herd of elk with in 25 yards with my big heavy boots on but to each their own.
..and I just hiked over 15 miles in for some scouting, "not on a trail" and my feet are fine.

I've packed out meat for years.
Mystery Ranch Marshall gets pretty heavy.

Dont knock it before you try it…and I think I know a thing or two about wearing boots man. Glad you like yours.

C8DCC12D-FA94-4A29-954C-56396363C897.jpeg
898345F0-F190-4CA1-9276-2BEFE8A35BA1.jpeg

..and I just hiked over 15 miles in for some scouting, "not on a trail" and my feet are fine.

I've packed out meat for years.
Mystery Ranch Marshall gets pretty heavy.

Dont knock it before you try it…and I think I know a thing or two about wearing boots man. Glad you like yours.

View attachment 398815View attachment 398816
What state are you in, those are some nice views!

Anyone have any experience w/ Gokey's or Russell and Son's? When I can scrape up the coin I love the idea of a custom fitted leather boot and these two brands look like they make a quality boot right here in the USA.

I also have two different sized feet. Schnee was willing to sell me another pair of boots at half price to make a mixed match set. The left over 2 boots were then donated to a veteran.

Give Lathrop and Sons a call and explain your situation.

I have no affiliation with them, never owned a pair of their boots but a friend used them who had some difficult foot problems and it turned out great for him. He had gone through kennetrek, Lowa, etc with no success.

They make custom fit boots. That was going to be my suggestion. I've never tried them but I also do best in custom built boots. I wear whites custom built for fire but my whites hunting boots fit fine off the shelf. Oh and I agree the advice to wear shoes is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
You really need to get custom made boots. There are a number of folks doing it. I had Whites and several pairs of custom cowboy boots but the guy who made them died a couple of years ago.