Another boot selection thread

RckyMtnRutt

I just wear altra lone peak trail runners. Wearing boots for a living, I have to say, they are horrible for hiking. That’s why real hikers don’t wear boots. Haha

Now, I know we all don’t hunt just the early season, so when snow starts to fall, i usually default to my salmon quest as my boot of choice.

I reckon if you have two different foot sizes you’d have to call the company and see what they can do for you. Probably easier than buying 3rd party.
I always like the idea of trail runners when im on trails but when you start off with no trail and the only trail you ever hit is a game trail you need a boot. No way in hell id pack out a bull elk out of my country with trail runners. Also ive had braches and rocks that would leave me on the mtn if i were in trail runners.

dfanonymous

I always like the idea of trail runners when im on trails but when you start off with no trail and the only trail you ever hit is a game trail you need a boot. No way in hell id pack out a bull elk out of my country with trail runners. Also ive had braches and rocks that would leave me on the mtn if i were in trail runners.
You the only one that hikes in to hunt? I do the same thing. I hunt expedition hunts, and I live out west. I hunt about every western state I can get a tag for.

Half my stalks are in socks, branches and rocks are of no concern to me in trail runners…any more than 4-8000ft elevation gain in boots…also not on a trail. Especially by mile 10+
Sounds like a good way to be sidelined for the rest of your hunt with a rolled/sprained ankle if you ask me. I wear boots for a living as well, and would take the extra ankle support when packing weight or navigating terrain. My Lowas are nearly as comfortable as a sneaker to my foot.
I personally don’t have weak ankles. Even in the military, the mil version of the salomon xa’s were money. I know more guys that rolled ankles in boots then trail runners haha.

Trail runners are lighter. Anyone that hikes knows the benefit to that. They have better traction in general and they breath and drain much faster.

Most trail runners have a rock plate for those concerned about their sensitive feet.

One of best reasons I like the Altra specifically are because of the large toe box. Gives me a better sense of the ground and terrain.

Last edited:

Philward

How will you get boots that fit if one for is 1.5 sizes different? But 2 pair to make one pair? Or just stuff something in the other one till it fits.

wasskeet

LRH Team Member
How will you get boots that fit if one for is 1.5 sizes different? But 2 pair to make one pair? Or just stuff something in the other one till it fits.
That's a good question. One item I did not mention is that the smaller foot is slightly wider and thicker than the other (crushed in a car accident as a child). This helps somewhat with the size differential as a larger is not as loose as it could be. I have managed for quite a few years just trying on pair after pair to get a fit that is decent.
If I could find an app as Troutslayer2 mentioned - I'd be overjoyed!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Flyjunky

That's a good question. One item I did not mention is that the smaller foot is slightly wider and thicker than the other (crushed in a car accident as a child). This helps somewhat with the size differential as a larger is not as loose as it could be. I have managed for quite a few years just trying on pair after pair to get a fit that is decent.
If I could find an app as Troutslayer2 mentioned - I'd be overjoyed!

Thanks again for all the advice!
If I were you I would call a custom boot maker and talk with them. It sounds as though you'll need not only a different size for each foot you might need a different last as well.