Another Bi-pod question...sorry

BenY 2013

Sorry to ask this since there are already a bunch of bipod questions on here. But I need some advice. Ok I want a Harris bipod for my rifle. The only time the bipod will be in use will be either from a bench or prone position while hunting. So do I need the 6-9 or 9-13in model? Also which specific model would you recommend, I've seen many? (model S or model L) Also since it'll be used for hunting do I need the pivot model? I know its a lot of questions:D Thanks

All of my bipod experience comes from shooting groundhogs from prone. I use a 6-9" model, and I highly recommend the swivel version. I also prefer the leg notch model.

From the bench and from a level platform shooting prone I like the 6-9 inch model the best because it's what is most comfortable to me and is the most rigid. If I was shooting just off a bench I'd go with the non swiveling model because you'd have time to set up and adjust the legs so that your rifle is not canted. However in the field to set that up is a pain in the butt (time consuming) and the swiveling model lets you just tilt the rifle to level it out.

All that being said.... I've found when I hunt with my bipod I usually end up having grass in the way or an uphill or downhill shot and I actually use a 13-27 swiveling model when in the field just to be more versatile. It lets me shoot sitting down if I need to and I've just found it to be the most useful.

So my solution was to buy both :) I use the 6-9 inch swiveling model from Shooters Ridge when I shoot off the bench or when I know it's height won't be a disadvantage but I grab my tall Harris when I head off into the hills hunting because I don't know where I'll end up shooting from.

Last edited:
I've had both brands for a few years and once they're on the gun I really haven't noticed a difference in the quality of the two. They both have legs that lock into place using the same feature, they both seem rock solid, and both have a very similar swiveling mechanism. However, the two Shooters Ridge bipods that I've had are a pain (compared to the Harris) to put on your rifle.

I have no idea why it's harder because the design appears to be identical to the Harris but it always takes me at least 3 times as long (still under a minute) to get the dang thing installed but once it's installed it's golden. Since I usually just leave the bipods on my guns for a while the last two bipods I've bought have been from Shooters Ridge and it doesn't bother me that they're harder to get on and off since they just stay on the guns. I'm sure somebody will tell me it's user error that I have issues getting them on and off but my uncle, brother, and dad all have noticed the same thing. By no means is it hard to get the Shooters Ridge installed it's just a lot more difficult to put on than the Harris.

I don't have any experience with bipods from Caldwell but when I buy my next one it'll be a Caldwell just to try them out. Maybe somebody else could give some advice based on their experience with Caldwell's

I'm interested to see what people have to say because I'm currently in the same situation on what size pod to put on my new LR gun. I use the 13-27 model on my current rifle due to there being tall grass in a lot of places I hunt, just like what was previously posted. One thing I read recently about the 6-9 notched pod is that there's a little play in the leg when in the notch and a member noticed his groups opening up due to the platform not being stable enough for high powered rifles. Maybe someone can add there two cents to this, I'm curious what others have to say about that because the notched model seems very convenient.

Scott

I can't hardly use a 6-9 prone, not enough of my body parts move good enough to get in a good position but the 9-13 works great, I shoot like I'm hunting 90% of the time so I want better field position than bench position and I would say get the swivel base. Shooters Ridge are OK, I reworked mine and it's fine but the Harris is install and shoot. Also get a pod-lock!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts