Another bait pile casualty.

Ohlongarm

Daybreak 20 inches of heavy snow here, facing me 85 yards, blood spot on center chest barely visible, bank flop 17 hornet scores again.

Attachments

• dragged in .jpg
    dragged in .jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 106
Possibly some roadkill is available
Check with the laws first, best source is deer processors they can supply you with all you need, rib cages work best. The laws are weak in most states but hard to enforce. Usually nothing visible.Broiler houses can supply you with all the dead chickens you can handle, as they lose dozens a day to various circumstances. Rig the chickens in a metal open container where they can't carry them off, friend in Arizona kills 300 plus a year with this method. He makes his own if I can get a picture I'll post it. A four foot square bin 3 feet tall made out of old metal fencing, with holes just large enough for the yotes to have to tug and pull at the bait but not large enough where they can take it and run.

Last edited:
It depends on the laws in your state . where I live there are no game animals or parts of them to be used for any baiting .
We can only bait coyotes, so I have only ever hunted with calls bc it would be too tempting to shoot anything that came into the bait. We've gotten fox on calls but haven't gotten coyotes to come in. So thinking about shooting a few fox then once that season is over getting a bait pile going to hopefully have yotes come consistently until I kill enough that they don't want to hang around anymore.

We can only bait coyotes, so I have only ever hunted with calls bc it would be too tempting to shoot anything that came into the bait. We've gotten fox on calls but haven't gotten coyotes to come in. So thinking about shooting a few fox then once that season is over getting a bait pile going to hopefully have yotes come consistently until I kill enough that they don't want to hang around anymore.
I hunt a veal raising farm , they lose quite a few , the farmer dumps them in the same place on his 200 acres , they pay off nicely. As well as the occasional holstein.

buzby , game animal parts or carcasses aren't allowed to be used as bait for the baiting of any other animals . Please take your time and reread the statement made about it . Maybe I need to learn how to state things more clearly . There are plenty of game animals where I live you just can't use them as bait so that people don't kill them for that reason .

What do the coyotes eat there, if there's no game animals?
Go around to farms in your area tell them you'll take fallen animals that can be handled , you'd be surprised how many calls you'll get, I don't believe domesticated animals in a bait pile would be subject to little if any law intervention even in a state prohibiting baiting. MANY farmers dispose of dead livestock in the back forty, if the law was rigorously enforced thousands of farmers would be targeted for enforcement, just my take. In Ohio a guy got the law on him for using a dead horse to shoot coyotes and crows over, a horse has to be buried. He was let off with a warning the horse was reduced to mere bones in a month.

Yes, laws vary by State, seems like a good use of roadkill though, cleans up the road too.

There are the host of scavengers that get a free meal, crows, hawks & smaller critters. Depending of the factors, a few of them can go in the pot with any coyotes.

Here's one from yesterday, 3rd recently, 2nd one early afternoon. I like to get a few if the bold ones removed.

Attachments

• 9F1454B0-A350-4CCF-B90E-0C672FC14A59.jpeg
    9F1454B0-A350-4CCF-B90E-0C672FC14A59.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 69
Yes, laws vary by State, seems like a good use of roadkill though, cleans up the road too.

There are the host of scavengers that get a free meal, crows, hawks & smaller critters. Depending of the factors, a few of them can go in the pot with any coyotes.

Here's one from yesterday, 3rd recently, 2nd one early afternoon. I like to get a few if the bold ones removed.
Excellent, whatever works. I like watching the raptors, and the crows harassing them, red tails love the carcasses and bald eagles, a bald eagle will gorge themselves, despite crows dive bombing them continuously.

I have seen bald and golden eagles eat so much from dead animals that they couldn't get air born . It's comical .
I've never seen that, however seeing them gorge as they do, I know it happens, they're definitely fun to watch they can peel some meat off, tilt head back and down it goes.