Another 7mm-08 Question

either your sizing die is not set up right, your oal is to long or brass is to long is what it sounds like to me more info would help
Alright, I looked at the sizing die again and it was not adjusted correctly. So I was thinking after adjusting that would resolve the issue so I resized some brass and reloaded a couple cartridges. Would you believe the same problem? The bolt is difficult to close still but closes. I tried some factory ammo and fit is good, no issues. I checked the coal of the cartridge and it was 2.812, a little over so I seated the bullet deeper at 2.775 resulting in same issue. Diameter of case within specs, mine .466 and factory ,461. I checked some other reloads and some load ok and other are hard on the bolt. All the case were trimmed to specs, no over max or compressed loads. I even re-cleaned the chamber out...anyone have any thoughts?

Alright, I looked at the sizing die again and it was not adjusted correctly. So I was thinking after adjusting that would resolve the issue so I resized some brass and reloaded a couple cartridges. Would you believe the same problem? The bolt is difficult to close still but closes. I tried some factory ammo and fit is good, no issues. I checked the coal of the cartridge and it was 2.812, a little over so I seated the bullet deeper at 2.775 resulting in same issue. Diameter of case within specs, mine .466 and factory ,461. I checked some other reloads and some load ok and other are hard on the bolt. All the case were trimmed to specs, no over max or compressed loads. I even re-cleaned the chamber out...anyone have any thoughts?
will a fired case chamber okay without sizing

Last edited:
Alright, so the resizing was the culprit plus adding 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn above what was recommended for the die. This resulted in added effort in the press but easy closing of the bolt. I did go back and disassemble about 60 rounds and resized them properly. Good lesson for me to check that resizing die once in awhile or maybe every time! I'll let you know how it goes on the range...anyone ever ream out the throat on a 7mm-08 to seat longer bullets?

If throat is too deep you will not be able to reach the lands with loads and have them feed in magazine. Especially with short action gun's, just had to deal with that in a barrel by cutting some off barrel and rechambering.

Alright, so the resizing was the culprit plus adding 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn above what was recommended for the die. This resulted in added effort in the press but easy closing of the bolt. I did go back and disassemble about 60 rounds and resized them properly. Good lesson for me to check that resizing die once in awhile or maybe every time! I'll let you know how it goes on the range...anyone ever ream out the throat on a 7mm-08 to seat longer bullets?
After you fire that brass, it will now resize easier.

Has anybody tried H4350 with the 140 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter? I have tried to search but haven't found the answer.
Is this powder too slow for a 22 inch barrel? How about a 24 inch barrel? I'm looking at it for the claimed temperature stability and case filling. I see it listed in the Lee book for a 140 gr jacketed bullet but not in my Sierra manual 5th or 6th edition
Thanks in advance.
H4350 & the 140gr in a 7mm -08 goes together like peas and carrots. Probably the best choice for that combo you can ask for