Another 7mm-08 Question

I have used 46 gr H4350 and 140 Nosler Partitions, Sierra Game King or Nosler AB and now 145 gr Barnes LRX...all good results. CCI-BR-2 primers and Lapua Brass. That said, I recently moved over to RL-17 and it is great in the 7mm-08 with that 145 gr Barnes LRX bullet. I get a solid 80 fps more using the RL-17. Wife knocked down some big critters in Africa with that load and I tagged a big Mule Deer in CO last Nov at 475 yds off the sticks, DRT heart shot. So there's a few data points...we love the 7mm-08 and have three in the safe. I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion the kids grew up shooting with 20" BBL and wife has a Weatherby Camilla with 20" BBL and I have a Fierce CT Carbon Edge with a 22" BBL(6.5 lbs with optics). The little barrels get about 2770 with that 145 Barnes LRX and mine gets 2844 in that 22" BBL.
How many grains of RL 17 are you using? I been using 46 gr of IMR4350 with 140 gr Accubond, 22" Savage 11 in 7 08. Last I checked I was somewhere around 2780. I had decent accuracy. Just looking for a little more fps and same or better accuracy.

How many grains of RL 17 are you using? I been using 46 gr of IMR4350 with 140 gr Accubond, 22" Savage 11 in 7 08. Last I checked I was somewhere around 2780. I had decent accuracy. Just looking for a little more fps and same or better accuracy.

If you are looking for more velocity with 140 gr bullets give WW760/H414 a try. I get appx 2950 ft/sec (145 Speer Sbt) in my 24" Kimber with great accuracy. I've also gotten great vel with H-100V and StaBall 6.5, but have not tested for accuracy yet.

My Xbolt and my Savage both really like 44gr of IMR 4350 with a 140 AB. I need to check velocity but they consistently shoot 1/2 moa

Accuracy wise, Varget, cfe223, RL17, and now RL16 have been great. My best guess, speed wise, would go to RL17, and cfe223. As to accuracy above all, Varget, with 140 grain, and RL16 gets the nod for 150 class bullets. Not exactly happy with StaBALL.

I used RL 17 in last 7-08 and it's by far the best powder I have used in the 7-08
I used it with the 150 eldx and was getting 2890fps on the lab radar.
I actually have done some testing with mine, and rifle loves it, and awesome speed. I have a few "go too" formulas. The only problem, and it's probably me , but am concerned with the fire cracking, that 17 is known for. It really depends on how much you shoot it of course. It is potent stuff, but very temp sensitive.
I have a few loads with it, that are so good that I may just load a few, come deer season, and they will be just for hunting. But for recreational, and target,I don't want to have prolonged use of it.
Just me!🦌

I actually have done some testing with mine, and rifle loves it, and awesome speed. I have a few "go too" formulas. The only problem, and it's probably me , but am concerned with the fire cracking, that 17 is known for. It really depends on how much you shoot it of course. It is potent stuff, but very temp sensitive.
I have a few loads with it, that are so good that I may just load a few, come deer season, and they will be just for hunting. But for recreational, and target,I don't want to have prolonged use of it.
Just me!🦌
I consistently get tight chambering with my 7mm 08. The cartridge appears to meet specs for length and width etc. Is it the sizing die?