Another 7mm-08 Question

Herbie

Has anybody tried H4350 with the 140 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter? I have tried to search but haven't found the answer.
Is this powder too slow for a 22 inch barrel? How about a 24 inch barrel? I'm looking at it for the claimed temperature stability and case filling. I see it listed in the Lee book for a 140 gr jacketed bullet but not in my Sierra manual 5th or 6th edition
Thanks in advance.

Has anybody tried H4350 with the 140 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter? I have tried to search but haven't found the answer.
Is this powder too slow for a 22 inch barrel? How about a 24 inch barrel? I'm looking at it for the claimed temperature stability and case filling. I see it listed in the Lee book for a 140 gr jacketed bullet but not in my Sierra manual 5th or 6th edition
Thanks in advance.
Herbie, I haven't tried H4350, however, I'm using RL16, which is similar, and enjoying very good accuracy. I have no chronograph info at this time, but have been told by a few, that are shooting like loads, that the velocities are good. You will be dealing with compressed loads, at or near the top.
Hope all is well, take care.
Ps, RL16 is supposed to be temp stable as well.

Herbie.. I have tons of lab radar info from both mine and the wifes ruger Americans in the 140 class but nothing in that bullet or powder

Thanks in advance.
start at 46.0gr h4350 for the 140 and work up the sierra bullets will tolerate a jump most times I normally start about 20 thou off the lands

I love it.. I shoot it with a tri pod.. once u have it dial ed in you can beat it.. hook it up to the computer and down load all your info.. sure beats typing in all the info .. now it's all copy and past to make graphs and enter data into excel program.. wish I would of bought it years ago... only bad thing in from Canada and I paid over a grand for it..then I got there battrie pack.. "well worth the money" and there little stand.. I will post some pics later..I would highly recommend it if your going to do lots of shooting and load development

Haven't tried H4350, I've been using IMR-4064 for all my 139gr and 140gr bullets.

Weird but the 139gr SST, the 140gr Prohunter and the 140gr Gameking all liked 41.0gr of it. The Gameking is sub MOA and the Prohunter and SST are sub half MOA at 100m.

I use the Sierra's for practice and hunt with the SST.

The 139gr SST with Federal nickel brass and GM201M primers at 2.80" COAL

Both Sierra bullets are with Hornady and Wincheater brass, also GM210M and 2.80" COAL

I'm just above 2,800 fps with a 24" barrel

Hope this helps

I used H4350 behind 140gr BTs and ABs, as well as behind the 150gr ABLR. It worked well in my 24" barrelled Rem700. Temperature stability seemed good, though I didn't do a whole lot of testing. I ran a COAL of 2.825" with both bullets and case fill was right around 100%, usually could just feel a hair of compression on the powder as I hit the end of the seating stroke. I was getting 2825fps with the 140s and 2750fps with the 150s.

+1 to JMW67 s post. Right on the money. Somewhere between 46-48 grs of H4350 and you ll have a shooter!! .020 off lands with a Sierra is a great start also.

I have three 7-08's...wife, daughter, and grandson. H4350 and Big Game are the top two powders in all three. I dont load the Sierra bullet but use the 140 Noslers and the 139 Hornady. All have 22" barrels and will shoot under MOA at 2830-2850 FPS.
I had a 23" 7-08 and loaded 140 Sierra Spire points over 48 gr H4350, MV measured 2850fps for 1MOA groups.

I have used 46 gr H4350 and 140 Nosler Partitions, Sierra Game King or Nosler AB and now 145 gr Barnes LRX...all good results. CCI-BR-2 primers and Lapua Brass. That said, I recently moved over to RL-17 and it is great in the 7mm-08 with that 145 gr Barnes LRX bullet. I get a solid 80 fps more using the RL-17. Wife knocked down some big critters in Africa with that load and I tagged a big Mule Deer in CO last Nov at 475 yds off the sticks, DRT heart shot. So there's a few data points...we love the 7mm-08 and have three in the safe. I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion the kids grew up shooting with 20" BBL and wife has a Weatherby Camilla with 20" BBL and I have a Fierce CT Carbon Edge with a 22" BBL(6.5 lbs with optics). The little barrels get about 2770 with that 145 Barnes LRX and mine gets 2844 in that 22" BBL.

Recent Posts