Another 6.5x284

Greyfox

For about seven years now I have had a love affair with the 6.5X284. While I have a bunch of different rifles of various calibers, styles, and use them for various forms of hunting and competition, my 6.5x284's continue to dominate the bulk of my attention.
Why...Benchrest accuracy, excellent killing power, and low recoil.
About a year ago I ran into a minty 70's vintage Remington 700 in 30-06 for $400. Of course, I decided to build another 6.5x284. The 40 year old action and trigger were much nicer then the current offerings. Selling the parted out walnut stock and sporter barrel just about gave me an action for free. I sent the action to Barlein to be trued up with a 26" Varmint contour, 1:8 twist R5 barrel, oversized lug, and a bead blasted finish. I stocked it with a McMillan A3, tuned the vintage trigger, and topped it with a 5x20 Huskemaw scope. Weight came in at 12,5# fully loaded with bipod. Finally had a chance to break in the barrel and give it a run with a couple of my favorite loads. 142 JLK or 140 Berger Hunting VLD, Lapua brass necked to .292", Fed210M, 58gr Retumbo, seated .020" off the lands. My first Bartlien barrel.......what a shooter...no fuss..it cleans up in a couple of minutes...and I'm on my 3rd reload of the brass, neck sizing with no sticky bolt. Both loads gave sub .25MOA, 2975FPS, ES <10FPS.

200 yard 3 shot example.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 72
Sounds and looks great! How about some rifle pictures?

I'll see if I can get a picture posted today. I know you have been doing a lot of LR work with your rifle that is quite impressive. I have had a lot of questions sent my way asking if I have tried the Hornady ELDX 143's. I have had so much success and a large supply with the Bergers and JLK's that I wasn't motivated. Anyway, I recently bought some of the Hornadys and have been working with them. Pulling all the tricks out of my hat that deliver sub .25MOA performance out of my 6.5x284's, the best I can do is .5-1 MOA with spotty repeatability and lower velocity. Also, the jackets are very soft and easily marred compared to the J4 jackets used by Berger and JLK. Wondering if you have done anything with them. The terminal ballistic claims are intriguing.

I'll see if I can get a picture posted today. I know you have been doing a lot of LR work with your rifle that is quite impressive. I have had a lot of questions sent my way asking if I have tried the Hornady ELDX 143's. I have had so much success and a large supply with the Bergers and JLK's that I wasn't motivated. Anyway, I recently bought some of the Hornadys and have been working with them. Pulling all the tricks out of my hat that deliver sub .25MOA performance out of my 6.5x284's, the best I can do is .5-1 MOA with spotty repeatability and lower velocity. Also, the jackets are very soft and easily marred compared to the J4 jackets used by Berger and JLK. Wondering if you have done anything with them. The terminal ballistic claims are intriguing.

I have not entertained trying them! I see no real advantage. If so, it would be marginal. I believe I have found what my gun likes and not interested in changing it at the present time. I have had ups and downs with the Bergers, but will stay the course.

Great looking rifle!

I have not entertained trying them! I see no real advantage. If so, it would be marginal. I believe I have found what my gun likes and not interested in changing it at the present time. I have had ups and downs with the Bergers, but will stay the course.

Great looking rifle!

Thanks CO.

I did some more work today with the Hornadys with no progress and decided to pack it in given nice results I have had with the Bergers and JLK's. I have had no problems at all on more then a few dozen game animals taken from 50 yards to 1200 yards.

Thanks CO.

I did some more work today with the Hornadys with no progress and decided to pack it in given nice results I have had with the Bergers and JLK's. I have had no problems at all on more then a few dozen game animals taken from 50 yards to 1200 yards.

A guy up the road sells the 6.5 JLKs. I just haven't taken the plunge yet!

A guy up the road sells the 6.5 JLKs. I just haven't taken the plunge yet!

I have been using JLK' for several years and have gotten excellent performance out of them. They are quite similar to Bergers utilizing the J4 jacket. The G7 BC for the 140/142 runs .323 for me compared to .313 for the Bergers. The biggest attraction for me has been their consistent performance on game. I have a high percentage of DRT's on medium game from 50 yards out to 1200 yards, and no failures. Retrieved bullets found under the opposite hide often look like bonded bullets with a perfect mushroom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 64
I have been so pleased with the performance of this build that I decided to order a Huber 2 Stage trigger for it. I have used 2 stage triggers on my competition rifles, much preferring them to a single stage for high precision work. Preferring a heavier pull weight, I ordered the 2.5# break weigh. I attached their website which has an interesting video explaining the trigger and the benefits if a two stage design.

2 Stage Rem 700 Trigger – Huber Concepts – Remington 700 Triggers & Rifle Triggers

How much have you got in this build? Love your rifle and would like to follow your lead. Thanks.

I bought a minty 700 for $450. Kept the action, parted out and sold the barrel and stock for $400. A 700 action bought outright is around $250, but $50 for my action. The barrel, action truing, bead blast, and heavy recoil lug was $800, all from Bartlien. BTW excellent workmanship. The A3 stock was traded, valued at $450 used. Talley mounts around $50. I tuned the original Rem trigger myself. Without scope, total about $1300. The Huber trigger will add $400. Figure with a decent scope and Bipod $2500-$3000 for this complete set-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.