Another 338 lapua question

marioq

Hey guys. Sorry to beat a topic like a dead horse but thing dot seem right

I'm at the range now. I'm shooting 95.0-95.3 gr RL 33 with fed primers in lapua brass with 300 gr Bergers and my velocity is 2332 ftps.
I have read 2700 and change with the lapua so I'm thinking in way low on charge but its at max for the books I think. No signs of pressure. I think pull billets and go up cuz I'm wasting valuable resources. What do y'all think???

I think your chronograph is teasing you, if they shoot good then test them out at LR and check your velocity based on drops.

Yeah Riley, that's what I thought too but they are not shooting well. I'm at 3.675 and my lands is 3.72 or so.
So I'm trying to get these **** Bergers to shoot for my 2 elk hunts this year.
Any ideas from all are welcome.

You might want to try the seating depth test that berger came up with, i dont have a link but i know ICANHITHIMMAN has it in his signature line.

The Alliant data shows a max of 97.5grs of RL33 with a 300gr bullet for the 338 LAPUA MAG

CASE MIN OAL BBL PRIMER POWDER GRAINS FPS
Lapua 3.68" 24" Fed 215 Reloder 33 97.5 2,748

They used a SMK but the Berger has less bearing surface so if your rifle doesn't show pressure signs you might be able to go higher then 97.5grs and if you don't feed them from the magazine definitely seat them out close to the lands.

Wow!!!! Thanks for that info. How did u get it??

You know I am mixed!! I've heard like .010 off the lands to .180 or so. I tried right up there but it **** bad so I backed it off. Maybe I'll try more juice and closer!!!!!
I went off. RL 25 data as the closest I had for burn rates and backed off 10% and worked up to 95. Guess I'll start at 95.5 and go to 98 or so by 1/2 gr

Thanks a bunch

Hey guys. Sorry to beat a topic like a dead horse but thing dot seem right

I'm at the range now. I'm shooting 95.0-95.3 gr RL 33 with fed primers in lapua brass with 300 gr Bergers and my velocity is 2332 ftps.
I have read 2700 and change with the lapua so I'm thinking in way low on charge but its at max for the books I think. No signs of pressure. I think pull billets and go up cuz I'm wasting valuable resources. What do y'all think???

I may be the bullet. Sometimes a rifle/barrel just doesn't like some bullets.

Try something else like the 300 grain Match King and check your velocities.
You Can seat them to mag length minus .030 and you should be good to go.

At least it should tell you if it is the load the bullet or the chroney.

J E CUSTOM

I may be the bullet. Sometimes a rifle/barrel just doesn't like some bullets.

Try something else like the 300 grain Match King and check your velocities.
You Can seat them to mag length minus .030 and you should be good to go.

At least it should tell you if it is the load the bullet or the chroney.

J E CUSTOM

So I also tried 250 Bergers today but stopped when I got the bad velocity. I have some 250 sierras too so I can try that. As for mag length, I think u mean max length???
So you are talking about my OAL with the hornady OAL gauge and take .030 off that number?
Just making sure I don't waste more time and powder!!!!

Hahaha

Thanks

So I also tried 250 Bergers today but stopped when I got the bad velocity. I have some 250 sierras too so I can try that. As for mag length, I think u mean max length???
So you are talking about my OAL with the hornady OAL gauge and take .030 off that number?
Just making sure I don't waste more time and powder!!!!

Hahaha

Thanks

Actually sometimes more free bore is better. If your chamber is a SAAMI spec. the cartridge OAL
is not measured at the ogive but the tip of the bullet to the case head. Different bullets measured at the ogive will have different COAL lengths.

Most manufacturers control the COAL and the free bore with the magazine/Mag well length.

If you shorten the COAL to Magazine length minus .020 to .030 that will increase free bore and should increase velocity if your chrony is working right.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.