Another 300 RUM ??? for Newbie

shooters

Sorry for the ignorance here. I'm an archer by heart and a newbie, but the long range shooting is so much fun, so please forgive my questions. Any help would be great. I recently sold my 300 RUM with the Winchester Action.... yuk. It did shoot great though. It was equipped with a break from Kirby and a Leupold VX7L 4.5-14X50 Boone & Crockett and shooting 200gr Accubonds. Here is where I need the help. I'm stuck with the 300 RUM. I love that caliber. Everyone prefers something different so.... I am getting ready to purchase another 300 RUM in the Sendero SF2 with the H.S stalk, fluted barrel and adjustable trigger.

Is the extra cash for this Sendero any better than just a normal REM 300 in stainless?

I realize there is a weight difference between the two due to the fluted bull barrel, but that doesn't bother me. I just want a little more accuracy and later down the road, would like Kirby to true the REM action. Only a 20 mile drive. LOL. Just can't afford to have one built all at once.
Next question.

What scope???

I am very confident out to 500 yards (drop in the hat to most of you), but would like to start shooting some of the Chucks and some paper out to a little further distance. Like to some day work my way to a 1000 yards. (some day) So, with that caliber and the intent to hunt with the rifle as well, what scope do I attach to the rifle? I've been reading thread after thread and just became more confused. S&B, Nightforce, Leupold, Huskemaw, etc... I liked the Leupold VX7, but it had a limit of 600 yards. Also not sure I want to get into the whole MOA... really confuses me. Can't seem to understand it. People make these scopes seem so easy to operate. Just turn the dial and shoot. Ha Ha. I'm lost. So if you could please spend a few min to answer my questions, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I would get the sendero, better long range platform.

Scope, I like the Leupolds because of the 15 MOA per revolution, I put BDC on my hunting guns so I like them for that, also I think they are a great scope for the money. I use 6.5-20X50mm LR VX-III scopes for hunting.

As far as MOA, it's an inch at 100, two at 200, 3 at 300, etc.

You want to get into long range hunting but don't want to learn MOA, then you won't be shooting very far my friend.

You want to learn to shoot long range but you don't want to learn how to dial your scope? It's like wanting to be a millionaire but not wanting to learn to count money.

Just dive right off, it's easier than you think. There is tons of information on MOA on the web, like I said, it's easier than you think.

When you have a drop chart, just look at the MOA's needed to shoot the distance you want to shoot, then turn your scope to the number needed.

i.e. if your chart says you need 9 MOA for 500 yards, then turn your scope elevation knob to the number 9 and squeeze the trigger, we'll talk about wind and mirage later, but you need to know MOA's.

-Erik

Don't be afraid of learning MOA. A few months ago I knew nothing. Just do a lot of research and you will get there. Its not hard, even though I still have a long way to go.

shooters, I would go with the Sendaro the stock is reinforced, full-length aluminum bedding blocks and a 26" heavy-contour better quality barrel. With the 700 you may get lucky and get a decent barrel but then again not and it's not bedded.

As far as scopes and getting you to a 1000 yards there's any number of them that will do it well-Nightforce, Leupold, Zeiss, US Optics, Swarovski to name some. Try to define your criteria such as cost, weight, quality of glass, warranty, type of turrets, eye relief, type of reticle and so on. The more you define your criteria the narrower the field to choose from and you be more assured of getting what you want. Just curious why did you say the VX7 had a limit of 600 yards?

IMHO If your serious about shooting you would be well served to learn and understand moa. Here's a link I think would help...and if you have questions ask here...I'll try to help you and if I can't there are many others with far more Knowledge than me that I'm sure would try to help. Lastly, you have nothing to apologize for as all of us at some point were where you are,,,Right...I mean none of us were born knowing any of this. Chas:)

Dexadine Ballistics Software - ballistic data for shooting and reloading

Shooters, Welcome

A lot of good info and advice in the previous posts.

As already mentioned, the Sendero is a great factory LR platform, The stock is a big part of that and so is the barrel. Almost every Sendero is an excellent shooter out of the box. With the other Rems, it's much more of a gamble and on average dont come close to the Sendero.

IMO, NF is about the best LR scope available but you will get some different opinions on that. If they are out your price range, there are quite a few others that work well "most" of the time :) Clearidge and Vortex have some good scopes and Vortex is coming out with a new LR freindly line which include MOA reticles.

You don't really need to understandt MOA to use it. If you can count you can use MOA. Your ballistics program will tell what MOA to dial in and you just count and dial.

BDC (bullet drop compensating) turrets are really cool but have some limitations. They are for a specific load at particular altitude and temp. Some variation from that inside 600-700 yds is OK, but once you get out to longer ranges, the variations ecome more critical. And if you decide to change your load, or your load shoots 50 fps less in the winter, etc., your BDC turret is no longer good. Having said that you can use both systems. The turrets aren't hard to change out and you can always fall back on the standard MOA or milrad turret. Angle shots are another variation.

Cheers,

Mark

Welcome Shooter! Another + for the sendero. Pretty hard to beat for an off the shelf rifle. Go to jbm tracjectory and play around with their ballistic tables. You will learn a lot. As far as scopes, several good ones have been mentioned. I like the Zeiss conquest very well for a long range hunter. You can get it with several ballistic reticles but I prefer it with custom turrets because it is very consistent (repeatable and has 20 moa per revolution).......Rich

Just curious why did you say the VX7 had a limit of 600 yards?

Dexadine Ballistics Software - ballistic data for shooting and reloading

VX7 had a limit of 600 yards?
The Boone & Crockett reticals only went to 600 yards. Anything over that, I have to guess. I don't want to have to guess on an animal. Not that I'm ready to shoot over 600... not even close. I also do agree that saying I didn't want to learn MOA is a pretty ignorant thing to say. My budget for a scope is $1500. Also, not sure on how a scope with Mill dots or reticals works when you have turrets or MOA adjustments???? I see NF and other scopes that have reticals and MOA knobs???? How can you have both? I thought that with MOA, you had a fixed crosshair and you just turned to the distance needed. Used the crosshair and were good to go. How can you dial a scope for the distance and still need to use other yardage reticals? See guys, I told ya I was a NEWBIE!

Oh, I just picked up the RUM today. Time to go break it in. Might be a little weird to shoot without a scope. It also may be a little cold to break it in today as well. Not sure how well the Tetra Kleen will hold up in cold temps. Maybe I'll wait for a warmer day. Been below zero for a few days. A little cold out.

My budget for a scope is $1500.

The NF NXS 3.5-15x50 fits perfectly in that budget if you dont count base and rings. For the money, no other scope will touch it. An EGW 20 MOA base will run you about $40 + shipping and Len is selling some good looking rings in the LRH Gear store for $75 (half the price of NF rings, but I'm not sure about the quality) I also found that having an anti-cant level is critical for LR shooting. all this will put you over $1600.

Also, not sure on how a scope with Mill dots or reticals works when you have turrets or MOA adjustments???? I see NF and other scopes that have reticals and MOA knobs???? How can you have both? I thought that with MOA, you had a fixed crosshair and you just turned to the distance needed. Used the crosshair and were good to go. How can you dial a scope for the distance and still need to use other yardage reticals?

You can do both - dial up or hold on with an MOA reticle. The reticle comes in handy if you're pressed for time. It's very simple. Check your drop and dial it in or count the cross hatches and hold on that.

Oh, I just picked up the RUM today. Time to go break it in. Might be a little weird to shoot without a scope. It also may be a little cold to break it in today as well. Not sure how well the Tetra Kleen will hold up in cold temps. Maybe I'll wait for a warmer day. Been below zero for a few days. A little cold out.

It's been cold here in Montana too - are you in Montana? I would not be shooting in this subzero weather. It probably wont hurt anything, but extreme cold isn't good for steel and moving parts, etc. I haven't heard much about Tetra Kleen,but you want to make sure you have a good copper solvent for your barrel break-in. Boer Tech Eliminator is very good and I've heard KG-12 is maybe better. Wipout and Gunslick foam cleaner are also very good but you need to let them soak for up to 8 hours.

Have fun with your new toy :) gun)

Mark

Last edited:
shooters, not an ignorant thing to say at all:). NF as do other scopes come with many different reticles such as the simple but effective crosshairs and so your back to moa just on the turrets.

I'm going to oversimplify moa but in a nutshell @ 1 moa @ 100yards = approx 1" so at 200 yards which is 2x's further 1 moa = approx 2" so on and so on, so that at 1000 yards which is 10x's 1 moa = approx 10 inches. Putting aside what yardage you have your gun zeroed in at and just as an example let's say your particular load drops 40" at 400 yards then 1 moa = 4" divided into 40" drop = 10 moa. (ok guys just a lay person trying to help shooter...take it easy on me). Hope this helps a bit but I do encourage you to visit the link I sent ya.

Congrats on picking up the 300rum...no weight of a scope yet...I bet it's a kicker:cool:. Send some pics when you get a chance and let us know how it shots

You can use the ballistic reticle as long as you know what each one represents yardage wise with your load as long as you have the correct zero (in that case, you wouldn't turn the turret. Knowing your zero and the moa at a given distance, you could also use the turrets instead of the ballistic markers (reticle) It just gives you an option. Hope this makes sense...Rich:D

My budget for a scope is $1500.

It's been cold here in Montana too - are you in Montana? I would not be shooting in this subzero weather. It probably wont hurt anything, but extreme cold isn't good for steel and moving parts, etc. I haven't heard much about Tetra Kleen,but you want to make sure you have a good copper solvent for your barrel break-in.

Mark

Thanks for the great advice. Unbelievable amount of help and advice you all give. Thanks! Yes, I live just outside of Fort Shaw Montana. I would'nt really shoot in below zero. Have to baby the new rifle.

The only reason I use Tetra Gun is because that is what Kirby used on my rifle... so I kind of stuck with it. Seems to do wonders.

Funny thing is, the Winchester Actioned 300 RUM I just sold worked very well. For my shooting ability at this current time, I really didn't need to get a new gun. With the 200gr Accubond loads that Kirby loaded a while back, it was amazing out to 550 yards. Never really tried to shoot beyond that. I just figured if I was going to choose to shoot at further distances, the Sendero would probably be a little better off the shelf.

I guess now would be the time to start shopping for the best price on a NF NSX 3.5-15X50 Scope. .......and learning MOA.

Thanks!!

You can use the ballistic reticle as long as you know what each one represents yardage wise with your load as long as you have the correct zero (in that case, you wouldn't turn the turret. Knowing your zero and the moa at a given distance, you could also use the turrets instead of the ballistic markers (reticle) It just gives you an option. Hope this makes sense...Rich:D

Makes sense now. I have the drop chart for the load and its been tested several times, so that should help when starting to shoot. THanks

The only reason I use Tetra Gun is because that is what Kirby used on my rifle... so I kind of stuck with it. Seems to do wonders.

If Kirby uses it it must be good stuff. I've just never heard anything about it, but it sounds like I'll have to put it on my list to try :)

It will be tough finding a "good price" on a NF becase they are a MAP'd product which means the manufacturer sets the retail price for the dealers, which means no haggling or deals unless you can work a package deal like getting your rings free if you buy the scope. I got a good price on a rifle that way. You can also try ebay, but it might take a while to get the one you want. I've seen some 3.5-15's go for $1100. I just wish I had the cash when they came up for bid :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.