Another 264 Win Mag Looking for AH 129 Data

TN David

Hey guys, I have a semi-custom built 264 Win Mag with 26" 1:6.5 twist barrel. I've picked up some 129 grain Absolute Hammers and am having a difficult time finding load data. I know they are new and I've searched the forums and can't really find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I have a semi-custom built 264 Win Mag with 26" 1:6.5 twist barrel. I've picked up some 129 grain Absolute Hammers and am having a difficult time finding load data. I know they are new and I've searched the forums and can't really find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Where in TN are you located, I am in East TN

You gotta love what they wrote on hammerbullets.com about the 129gr in the .264WM. Basically they said; we had outstanding results with a couple powders. We think you can too, that is, if you are good enough to work up a load without published data😆

Here is the write up I cut and pated below

"We ran this 129g Absolute Hammer in our .264 Winchester Magnum 1-7.5″ twist test rifle at a comfortable 3420 fps. This is a solid 200 fps faster than conventional bullet load data for 130g bullets. A good 300 fps faster than the majority of published data. We did well with rl-26 and n565 powders. The Absolute Hammer should be loaded by experienced reloaders that are competent at working up loads that do not match up with any published load data."

I asked Steve and Brian this question a week or so back and gave them a list of powders I had to use (RL26 and Retumbo were 2). Brian said with Retumbo start at 67 gr and start at 65 gr with RL26 (his preferred). Went to 67.5 grains of RL26 before any pressure (ever so slight ejector mark on cheap PPU brass, in 90+ degree temp) and dropped it down to 66 gr and shot 2 x 3 shots groups about .5" @ 100. Did not chronograph so do not know muzzle velocity. Gotta try it at longer range and see how it holds up.
Nothing fancy about the chamber on my rifle, smith used SAAMI spec reamer.

I have been looking at the same bullet, my twist is 8" but my barrel is 29" and throated to 142ABLR/SMK/Berger….so wouldn't my velocity be still able to have the 129g bullet stable? Throat length is .220" roughly.

Cheers.

Tagging in here.

I just had Brian load a dummy round with the 129 AH that I'm sending in with my Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag barreled action for a rebarreling to 264 WM. The COAL is about 3.57" which just fits inside the 3.6" Sako magazine.

Stan Taylor at Douglas Barrels is doing the chambering work.

Edit to add that I'm going with a 7.5 twist and 27" barrel.

Last edited:

Recent Posts