Annual trip to Wyoming

island2019

Just returned from a five day prairie dog shoot in Wyoming. The weather varied from 90 degrees the first day to wet and windy on the last day. We set up at sunrise and was able to shoot for three to four hour before they went to ground. My longest shot was over 600 yards. Most shots were between 300-450 yards.
my son and I were using AR15's in .224 Valkyrie, .223 Remington, 6mmx45 and17/.223. On our last day on the way back to the motel we stopped at a spot where steel gongs are set up. The longest shot is 1100 yards. With the Valkyrie I was able to hit it 13 times out of 20 shots. I have never shot past 600 yards. My scope is a Nikon monarch 5 with fine cross and target dot. I had a string of three consecutive hits on shots 18, 19and 20. I could have stayed there all day except for the lighting and down pour. My load was:
88 grain ELDM
23.8 grains CFE 223
Remington 7.5 primers
Federal brass
It was an epic adventure.

Sounds like a fun trip. I just moved to Denver and looking for a decent prairie dog areas. How many where you shooting in a day?

Sounds like a fun trip. I just moved to Denver and looking for a decent prairie dog areas. How many where you shooting in a day?
Between the two of us 50 -100 per day. We typically will not shoot unless they are 300 yards or more. There are a lot outside of the Cheyenne area which would be closest to the Denver area. Also you can find them in the Gunnison valley. If you drive the I25 corridor to they are everywhere. In Colorado you can only shoot them on private property, they are protected?

Headed to Wyoming last week of August.

1 - How was the air quality out there with the wildfires ?.
2 - Where in Wyoming were you shooting prairie dogs ?

I to will only go after the longs ones.

Thank you for any info.

Just returned from a five day prairie dog shoot in Wyoming. The weather varied from 90 degrees the first day to wet and windy on the last day. We set up at sunrise and was able to shoot for three to four hour before they went to ground. My longest shot was over 600 yards. Most shots were between 300-450 yards.
my son and I were using AR15's in .224 Valkyrie, .223 Remington, 6mmx45 and17/.223. On our last day on the way back to the motel we stopped at a spot where steel gongs are set up. The longest shot is 1100 yards. With the Valkyrie I was able to hit it 13 times out of 20 shots. I have never shot past 600 yards. My scope is a Nikon monarch 5 with fine cross and target dot. I had a string of three consecutive hits on shots 18, 19and 20. I could have stayed there all day except for the lighting and down pour. My load was:
88 grain ELDM
23.8 grains CFE 223
Remington 7.5 primers
Federal brass
It was an epic adventure.
Ya loving the Valkyrie? I'm considering one. Not sure I need it but.... you know... mabey I do?

Yep the Valkyrie is my favorite caliber. I have tried them all from 17/.223 up to .260 Remington. Until the Valkyrie came along my go to caliber was the 6mmx45. It is extremely accurate and easy to load but after 600 yards not as impressive as the Valkyrie. I really liked the 6.5 Grendel but the bolt in my AR would fail after 300-400 rounds. And the bolts are $85-$100. Plus 6.5 reloading components are more expensive and harder to find. I have had great success shooting the 80-88 ELDS out to 1100 yards. My longest shot on a p-dog was last week at 680 yards. I want to buy either the franchi varmint extreme or the Mossberg long range in the Valkyrie. Haven't decided yet on which one. You would definitely enjoy the Valkyrie.

I've shot PD's during all 12 months of the year. Nice days in the middle of winter while out calling yotes we've taken a break and done some stress mgt classes.:)

Recent Posts