Annealing ???

I don't have a press yet. My buddy has the RCBS and dies that I can use whenever I want but I'm still searching for powder and primers. All my buddy has are magnum primers and doesn't have many so I haven't even asked to "borrow" some until I can replace what I used.

one of these days I'll get to loading but for now it is just research, asking questions, reading, YouTube videos, and taking notes.

The AMP annealer appears to be an excellent machine, though pricey. Would someone in the know suggest where the AMP annealer and pilots can be purchased in the USA? A contact number that's not in New Zealand? Thanks
Sorry for the high jack.

When your custom rifle arrives, maybe annealing, but if it's a tight neck chamber and run of the mill brass, turning necks may be the first step. Both of my rifles built by 2 different smith's all had tight necks and velocity spread was a problem due to brass wall thickness. By finding out that problem, my groups tightened and ES dropped. All my production guns are normally larger neck chambers but the brass really gets worked in sizing.
You might ask your Smith for the neck chamber dimension or get a reamer print. When you start shooting it, you can make reasonable decisions on loaded and fired neck diameters. .004 clearance of those two diameters (loaded brass vs chamber necks) is working well for me. Annealing came into the picture just a couple of years ago, and it improved my brass sizing and neck tension goals. Brass longevity is a big plus.

When your custom rifle arrives, maybe annealing, but if it's a tight neck chamber and run of the mill brass, turning necks may be the first step. Both of my rifles built by 2 different smith's all had tight necks and velocity spread was a problem due to brass wall thickness. By finding out that problem, my groups tightened and ES dropped. All my production guns are normally larger neck chambers but the brass really gets worked in sizing.
You might ask your Smith for the neck chamber dimension or get a reamer print. When you start shooting it, you can make reasonable decisions on loaded and fired neck diameters. .004 clearance of those two diameters (loaded brass vs chamber necks) is working well for me. Annealing came into the picture just a couple of years ago, and it improved my brass sizing and neck tension goals. Brass longevity is a big plus.
Did I miss something ???

OP "Ordered my first custom rifle which I expect in about 6 months. I went 308 because I heard it is a good round to learn the reloading techniques and I want a gun that I know will shoot well when I do"

This part? Not sure what you are referring to....
Yep I missed it, Getting old aint all they said it would be

Man you nailed the story of my life for the last decade.
From the time I was 25 to 30 I went to the range probably 3 times a month. Then the wife, kids, and job came and my time was limited. The last 10 years I probably averaged 10 range days a year. This last year my available time has increased and I find myself going to the range a lot more depending on if I can find ammo which has been a challenge as we all know.
now that kids are older and the job doesn't require as much of my time I can go play. Ordered my first custom rifle which I expect in about 6 months. I went 308 because I heard it is a good round to learn the reloading techniques and I want a gun that I know will shoot well when I do. I'm learning a lot in this forum so thank you for everyone who shares their knowledge.
Same here. College was the killer. I could not afford pickle relish with my hot dog. Now the two kids are degreed and employed the fun begins. Bought Ar15, AR 10. M-14 and M1, FAL and accumulated 3,700 rounds of M80. Let the fun in retirement begin.

I don't have a press yet. My buddy has the RCBS and dies that I can use whenever I want but I'm still searching for powder and primers. All my buddy has are magnum primers and doesn't have many so I haven't even asked to "borrow" some until I can replace what I used.

one of these days I'll get to loading but for now it is just research, asking questions, reading, YouTube videos, and taking notes.
IMR

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.