Annealing ???

KSB209

I am brand new to reloading. While I learn the basics is annealing really necessary? I'm still reading and learning and this process seems to be something the top loaders rely on. While I learn the craft should I include this process from the beginning or after I figure out the basics?

I'm on year 8 and have made some great ammo and shot some great groups, only just got an annealer because I like to fiddle more and more. Your brass may not last as long, but you can certainly learn a ton and have great success without one. If anything, you like won't be able to shoot (or in this case, load) the difference for a while. Focused your efforts elsewhere.

It depends but I would say yes if you can comfortably afford it. There are 2 major reasons for case neck annealing:
Case life
Repeatable and consistent neck tension.

Unless you run a tight neck clearance and low neck tension the necks will eventually split. Now if you are a hotrodder then it may not be a viable point as your primer pockets will be shot first. But if you get more than 5+ reloads its possible to extend case life via preventing neck splitting.

The other major one, and most complex, is to get precision tension on the bullet as close to equal each individual loading and between cases.

I guess there is one more and its psychological. Knowing you are doing extra steps to increase, first and foremost, consistency and also precision. This can and does increase confidence bwhich can certainly have an effect on the shooters performance which can be seen,many times, on the target.

There are other reasons when you get into wildcatting and change neck diameter or change the shoulder location moving the neck area to thicker harder parts of the case.

As can be seen it has benefits and uses but its technically not necessary. I would say, if you do choose to anneal, stick to induction or flame annealing machines. They are the only two tech that currently achieve the proper time/heat ratio window. The most precise would be induction, IMHO.

Very true and a well fitting chamber and sizing die combined with NOT hotrodding it cases can last a crazy long time. Multiple barrels. 50+ loadings With Lapua, ADG, Peterson, and lastly Norma if the other 3 do not make it. Starline and Lapua for handgun and 30-30 cases. I am a very happy camper.

Are your shooting precision rounds in a precision rifle?
If the answer is a regular off the shelf hunting rifle, with large tolerances in the chamber, then annealing may make diddly squat difference to your loading and accuracy. Annealing is for brass that gets rotated and shot A LOT.
Sorry to say it does not always need to be done, sloppy neck tolerances, .006" or more, will still overwork your brass every time it's sized.
Annealing may work to get good neck tension, but in a rifle that's MoA or worse, is it worth the trouble?
I only anneal my precision brass every firing, my hunting brass gets annealed every 5th load, and even then it splits necks occasionally.
I think it's necessary only for brass that you can't replace, or for really accurate rifles that get shot a whole bunch.

Cheers.

I am brand new to reloading. While I learn the basics is annealing really necessary? I'm still reading and learning and this process seems to be something the top loaders rely on. While I learn the craft should I include this process from the beginning or after I figure out the basics?
Keep it simple at first as your skills progress there are many other tunnels in the rabbit hole such as neck turning anealing etc.

Necessary? Not really. Beneficial? Yes.

I've been reloading 9 years and am just now starting to research annealing - likely going with a DIY induction setup. Those 9 years included getting married and having 2 kids so my shooting volume was way down and didn't really require prolonging case-life or paying super close attention to neck tension. Now that I'm getting back into more regular shooting annealing is definitely on my radar for a couple different reason. First I've gotten more into precision shooting vs just plinking around for fun so I want to do what I can to maximize case consistency. Second, I've built my first custom rifle (wildcat at that) and that brass isn't cheap so I want to take care of it and make it last!

thanks for the responses. I'm not a precision shooter at this point. Reloading for me is to fine tune ammo that I shoot. Maybe down the road I will get into more of precision shooting but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it right now. My goal is to produce "better" ammo then I can buy off the shelf.

Necessary? Not really. Beneficial? Yes.

I've been reloading 9 years and am just now starting to research annealing - likely going with a DIY induction setup. Those 9 years included getting married and having 2 kids so my shooting volume was way down and didn't really require prolonging case-life or paying super close attention to neck tension. Now that I'm getting back into more regular shooting annealing is definitely on my radar for a couple different reason. First I've gotten more into precision shooting vs just plinking around for fun so I want to do what I can to maximize case consistency. Second, I've built my first custom rifle (wildcat at that) and that brass isn't cheap so I want to take care of it and make it last!
Man you nailed the story of my life for the last decade.
From the time I was 25 to 30 I went to the range probably 3 times a month. Then the wife, kids, and job came and my time was limited. The last 10 years I probably averaged 10 range days a year. This last year my available time has increased and I find myself going to the range a lot more depending on if I can find ammo which has been a challenge as we all know.
now that kids are older and the job doesn't require as much of my time I can go play. Ordered my first custom rifle which I expect in about 6 months. I went 308 because I heard it is a good round to learn the reloading techniques and I want a gun that I know will shoot well when I do. I'm learning a lot in this forum so thank you for everyone who shares their knowledge.

My goal is to produce "better" ammo then I can buy off the shelf.
I think that statement tells me you probably don't need to focus the time, energy, and money on annealing just yet. What press are you using? I just stepped up from a Lee Classic Turret to the Forster Co-Ax and it was probably the best money I've spent on reloading equipment. If you're using a cheaper press like I was I would look at upgrading that before buying annealing equipment. That and an electronic powder dispenser ... I have the RCBS chargemaster 1500 and that thing was life changing. Manually throwing / weighing each charge takes a ridiculous amount of time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.