Annealing

Not telling anyone this is the correct way to anneal but after a lot of questions with many different conflicting answers, I found a method that seemed to give me a satisfying result. There were many conflicting ideas on the best temperature to anneal. I tried templar and determined not a good method. Then I started experimenting by using the button method. The button on your sizing recapping pin. If you size a case,and as the button comes up through the neck, it will screech and be somewhat hard to pull button through the neck. I started with low temp anneal and button screeched. I increased temp and screech was minimal but there. Then I took the advice of an engineer of a major brass manufacturer. He said anneal in dark room and use torch and put heat on shoulder and let necks get cherry red and knock over in water. When going with this method no, screech and button pulls up smoothly. I anneal every other time and with big weatherby brass it has not burned up and ruined the brass. Have reloaded same brass 7 times and accuracy is increased when all the necks are soft and elastic. I did not eliminate screech until neck completely orange. Just my experience, but you will hear all kinds of different opinions but this works for me on a 338-378, 30-378, 338 ultra mag, 308 40x, 22-250 AI and others.
This is how an old bench rest shooter told me how to do it in 1977 seemed to work for me back then but haven't done it for years buying brass is easier to day financially so use it up and sell for scrap. David

Understand your statement, but I have not seen anything scientifically published that states differently from my original comment. Just saying.
And you are correct, The very subtle difference between water cooling and air cooling is subtle, the main reason in our business is contamination,

This is how an old bench rest shooter told me how to do it in 1977 seemed to work for me back then but haven't done it for years buying brass is easier to day financially so use it up and sell for scrap. David
Yes and it works, as I said earlier a thousand ways to anneal brass and I think 999 of them work

Brass is hardened by working it either by bending it hammering it or shooting and resizing it other than that I have never heard of any other way with different additives maybe but the old blacksmiths I have known were pretty sharp at making brass bushings that held up well in multiple uses and they would heat and quench. David

Brass is hardened by working it either by bending it hammering it or shooting and resizing it other than that I have never heard of any other way with different additives maybe but the old blacksmiths I have known were pretty sharp at making brass bushings that held up well in multiple uses and they would heat and quench. David
And you are correct

Water cooling works but it changes the metallurgy somewhat, in all the HVAC courses I have taken and the business that I am in water cooling Brass is a No Go

Out if curiosity, what do you do any why aren't you supposed to to water quench brass in your profession?

I don't water quench mine. I just toss it into a cookie sheet. But I've been wondering if the brass cases sometimes being in a pile next to each other versus a few being off by themselves on the sheet is going to make much difference in their softness. Those off by themselves cool off much faster.

Out if curiosity, what do you do any why aren't you supposed to to water quench brass in your profession?

I don't water quench mine. I just toss it into a cookie sheet. But I've been wondering if the brass cases sometimes being in a pile next to each other versus a few being off by themselves on the sheet is going to make much difference in their softness. Those off by themselves cool off much faster.
I work in the Aerospace Industry and contamination is the biggest issue, As we discussed earlier it is a minute difference in water cooling and air cooling, I have done both personally and to me the water just adds an unnecessary step in my routine and I personally don't like to submerge my cases, I said "Personally" , There's a thousand ways to do it, as far as your brass in a pile or by it's self the cooling time is the only thing that will change

I work in the Aerospace Industry and contamination is the biggest issue, As we discussed earlier it is a minute difference in water cooling and air cooling, I have done both personally and to me the water just adds an unnecessary step in my routine and I personally don't like to submerge my cases, I said "Personally" , There's a thousand ways to do it, as far as your brass in a pile or by it's self the cooling time is the only thing that will change
I forgot to mention the reason why I quench and that is I do Salt Bath annealing, which helps in rinsing the salt from the brass.

Well that answers the OP's question with some great information, Can you toast bread or on that thing, I like my bagels lightly toasted with cream cheese and honey and Rye toast almost burnt with butter, not margarine mind you but real butter, salted of course because unsalted butter just doesn't spread rite on toast but its okay for corn on the cob, if its boiled, if the corn is grilled I like mayonnaise on it with salt, of course thats using a charcoal grill cause a gas grill is to hard to regulate for corn unless you but a really expensive one ( like I have ) where you can control the burners
(Individually front to back with a digital thermometer for each zone) I can grill 25 ears in 15 minutes with nary an ear burnt , consistently cooked from the bottom kernel to the top
funny guy, but made me hungry.. what time is dinner?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.