Annealing

The problem I ran into with the templaq was even though I out it inside the case mouth, it seems to burn it off immediately
There is really no need for it IMO once you get it figured out, just take some junk brass and practice, Once again there are a thousand ways to do it but with a drill this is my SOP, Dark room, count however suits you best, soft glow on the neck and if your flame changes color its been in to long

I suggest watching lots of videos, there are plenty of good ones out there. When the tempilaq burns off and goes black, it is time to take the case out. Are you letting it dry after placing inside of the case? This is an old video but you can kind of see how it burns off and then turns black. Hope this helps and maybe others can chime in also. https://cartridgeanneal.com/

I'm sure that this question has been posted 100x before, but I will ask anyways.......How long/recommend annealing brass and how often?

Does the duration for annealing matter on the brass/ cal?
There is no generalized time. It depends on several factors like brass thickness, flame temp, flame distance etc. To do it right you have to set up an annealing session everytime starting with tempilaq applied to a few sacrificial cases to set the in-flame time. With the setup I use Hornady cases take about 3 seconds. Nosler case seem to take about 4-5 seconds. This is using Tempilaq to fine tune the time. Below are some directions on using Tempilaq.

OR buy The Annealing made perfect machine. They now have "Aztec" mode, which toasts a case, but gives you a program# (temp and dwell) to consistently anneal any brass.
For each subsequent annealing of that brass, you punch in the number and go.
They are pricey, but I know some guys who have gone together to purchase one, and we have one at our range for anyone to use.
I can perfectly anneal 50 pc of brass in 5 minutes (including set up).
Consistency shows in sizing, seating, runout, and down range.
my $0.02.

There is no generalized time. It depends on several factors like brass thickness, flame temp, flame distance etc. To do it right you have to set up an annealing session everytime starting with tempilaq applied to a few sacrificial cases to set the in-flame time. With the setup I use Hornady cases take about 3 seconds. Nosler case seem to take about 4-5 seconds. This is using Tempilaq to fine tune the time. Below are some directions on using Tempilaq.

Once again, Thats one way to do it and just because it's rite for don't make " The Right Way" ' I'm assuming the OP is just getting started and as I said Earlier " Dark room, count however suits you best, soft glow on the neck and if your flame changes color its been in to long " Will work just fine, No disrespect intended

As member Rardoin stated - time, temperature and material are the parameters to be considered when annealing.
You must have the patience of a Monk using a drill, socket and torch method.
My brass costs over $1.00 ea. I'm not in the mood to ruin several and not certain of the final result when doing a couple hundred with the torch method.
Another tip- keep a couple spanking new cases aside for comparison. I use Lapua and note the degree of blued (annealed) area on the unfired, spanking new cases and try to anneal the used cases to mimic the new unfired cases.
Do yourself a favor and buy one of the fine annealers on the market. Buy junk cry twice, buy quality and smile.

Time, temperature and material, time, temperature and material.
🤔

I'm sure that this question has been posted 100x before, but I will ask anyways.......How long/recommend annealing brass and how often?

Not telling anyone this is the correct way to anneal but after a lot of questions with many different conflicting answers, I found a method that seemed to give me a satisfying result. There were many conflicting ideas on the best temperature to anneal. I tried templar and determined not a good method. Then I started experimenting by using the button method. The button on your sizing recapping pin. If you size a case,and as the button comes up through the neck, it will screech and be somewhat hard to pull button through the neck. I started with low temp anneal and button screeched. I increased temp and screech was minimal but there. Then I took the advice of an engineer of a major brass manufacturer. He said anneal in dark room and use torch and put heat on shoulder and let necks get cherry red and knock over in water. When going with this method no, screech and button pulls up smoothly. I anneal every other time and with big weatherby brass it has not burned up and ruined the brass. Have reloaded same brass 7 times and accuracy is increased when all the necks are soft and elastic. I did not eliminate screech until neck completely orange. Just my experience, but you will hear all kinds of different opinions but this works for me on a 338-378, 30-378, 338 ultra mag, 308 40x, 22-250 AI and others.

As member Rardoin stated - time, temperature and material are the parameters to be considered when annealing.
You must have the patience of a Monk using a drill, socket and torch method.
My brass costs over $1.00 ea. I'm not in the mood to ruin several and not certain of the final result when doing a couple hundred with the torch method.
Another tip- keep a couple spanking new cases aside for comparison. I use Lapua and note the degree of blued (annealed) area on the unfired, spanking new cases and try to anneal the used cases to mimic the new unfired cases.
Do yourself a favor and buy one of the fine annealers on the market. Buy junk cry twice, buy quality and smile.

Time, temperature and material, time, temperature and material.
🤔
It's not that hard to use a drill and a socket, this subject always turns into this, The OP asked about time under flame, not what annealing machine to buy Once again, Dark room, count however suits you best, soft glow on the neck and if your flame changes color its been in to long, its not that hard to do at all ,Y'all make it sound like you've gotta have a room full of engineers building a Frankenstein Lab to do the simplest of things

Not telling anyone this is the correct way to anneal but after a lot of questions with many different conflicting answers, I found a method that seemed to give me a satisfying result. There were many conflicting ideas on the best temperature to anneal. I tried templar and determined not a good method. Then I started experimenting by using the button method. The button on your sizing recapping pin. If you size a case,and as the button comes up through the neck, it will screech and be somewhat hard to pull button through the neck. I started with low temp anneal and button screeched. I increased temp and screech was minimal but there. Then I took the advice of an engineer of a major brass manufacturer. He said anneal in dark room and use torch and put heat on shoulder and let necks get cherry red and knock over in water. When going with this method no, screech and button pulls up smoothly. I anneal every other time and with big weatherby brass it has not burned up and ruined the brass. Have reloaded same brass 7 times and accuracy is increased when all the necks are soft and elastic. I did not eliminate screech until neck completely orange. Just my experience, but you will hear all kinds of different opinions but this works for me on a 338-378, 30-378, 338 ultra mag, 308 40x, 22-250 AI and others.
I know its working for you and I'm not telling you what to do but Brass should be air cooled not quenched, with that being said any annealing method is better than no annealing provided you don't over heat you brass, once again this is just a suggestion,

I know its working for you and I'm not telling you what to do but Brass should be air cooled not quenched, with that being said any annealing method is better than no annealing provided you don't over heat you brass, once again this is just a suggestion,
I never could understand why folks suggest air cooled, because by all metallurgical journals I have read air cooled or quenching does not harden brass. Am I missing somethin?

OR buy The Annealing made perfect machine. They now have "Aztec" mode, which toasts a case, but gives you a program# (temp and dwell) to consistently anneal any brass.
For each subsequent annealing of that brass, you punch in the number and go.
They are pricey, but I know some guys who have gone together to purchase one, and we have one at our range for anyone to use.
I can perfectly anneal 50 pc of brass in 5 minutes (including set up).
Consistency shows in sizing, seating, runout, and down range.
my $0.02.
Well that answers the OP's question with some great information, Can you toast bread or on that thing, I like my bagels lightly toasted with cream cheese and honey and Rye toast almost burnt with butter, not margarine mind you but real butter, salted of course because unsalted butter just doesn't spread rite on toast but its okay for corn on the cob, if its boiled, if the corn is grilled I like mayonnaise on it with salt, of course thats using a charcoal grill cause a gas grill is to hard to regulate for corn unless you but a really expensive one ( like I have ) where you can control the burners
(Individually front to back with a digital thermometer for each zone) I can grill 25 ears in 15 minutes with nary an ear burnt , consistently cooked from the bottom kernel to the top

I never could understand why folks suggest air cooled, because by all metallurgical journals I have read air cooled or quenching does not harden brass. Am I missing somethin?
Water cooling works but it changes the metallurgy somewhat, in all the HVAC courses I have taken and the business that I am in water cooling Brass is a No Go

Water cooling works but it changes the metallurgy somewhat, in all the HVAC courses I have taken and the business that I am in water cooling Brass is a No Go
Understand your statement, but I have not seen anything scientifically published that states differently from my original comment. Just saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.